Looking for a decent, reliable, affordable Chorus Pedal

AxemBlack

• Members

The Boss CE-2 (which normally uses ASA adapters) will actually work with a standard power supply if it is daisy chained along with a boss pedal that uses a PSA adapter. If I link up my CE-2 or DM-3 in a daisy chain with my TU-2, it seems to work perfectly fine. Andreas and BigBossMan confirmed this is fine. I have no idea why this is though.

• Members

A relatively old CE-5 should cut it. The older versions are analog. The newer ones were redesigned with a digital circuit.

I have no experience with the newer ones, but the older CE-5s are quite excellent. They have much of the CE-2 sound, with some more adjustability.

• Members

I found this link helpful concerning the ACA/PSA debate regarding the CE-2:

If you're still worried, try a CE-3, it runs on 9v.

Basically this. The pedal will work fine if it's in the daisy chain of a another 9volt pedal. The CE-2 is probably what you're looking for in terms of sound, and all your other criteria kind of eliminates a ton of other choices. So much so I don't think it really exists besides a CE-5, which might not get you the sound you want. An older CE-5, as MrMunky said, might work.

• Members
Basically this. The pedal will work fine if it's in the daisy chain of a another 9volt pedal. The CE-2 is probably what you're looking for in terms of sound, and all your other criteria kind of eliminates a ton of other choices. So much so I don't think it really exists besides a CE-5, which might not get you the sound you want. An older CE-5, as MrMunky said, might work.

OK, I understand. Feel free to recommend some other pedals, even if they don't fit my criteria.

Oh and the reason I don't want a Small Clone is the fact it doesn't offer much flexibility, and further, a LOT of people who have it complain about very poor reliability. Not what I'm after.

and I read that page that trlkvsky posted and it says:

Obviously, this won't work with an isolated power supply like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2, since the isolated outputs prevent common grounds from forming. But it works with all non-isolated power supplies, and daisy chain cables.

Since I use a PowerBank, I don't think the CE-2 would work for me. WHich is a shame because it was my first choice. :(

• Members

Oh and the reason I don't want a Small Clone is the fact it doesn't offer much flexibility, and further, a LOT of people who have it complain about very poor reliability. Not what I'm after.

FWIW, I bought a used Small Clone off Ebay, and it's absolutely fine. There are no doubt bad ones out there but that doesn't mean they all are. It all depends how you take care of your gear. If you like to throw your pedals around, buy a boss, or an Ibanez/Maxon CS9 that can take a beating. As for flexibility, it's probably no less flexible than a CE-2. But you should be the judge of that.

• Members

Well, as utterhack points out, the Jacques Meistersinger is pretty popular, but it's around 66 pounds. That's pretty small an I'm pretty sure it is metal despite what it looks like.

Then going into expensive territory is the Retro-sonic chorus, which is a true clone of the CE-1 with all the modern features and a switch that goes from vibrato to chorus.

Otherwise I would use the CE-2 and it should work in your chain as far as I know.

• Members

The Boss CE and Small Clone are THE classic Chorus sounds, as far as I'm concerned. Have you compared the Nano to the regular? What I like about the Small Clone/Stone is their lack of controls. They both hit the sweet spot, you don't have to dial it in. A CE-3 may fit the bill for you...

• Members

Hmm. I guess it's some sturdy-ass plastic then. I remember holding one and thinking it was metal.

Anyways, if the Powerbank is not isolated then you're fine. If it is then your other option is to get an ACA adapter. Probably something you should research a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Meistersinger is a great sounding chorus.

I use a ce-2 myself, sometimes. I also have my boss dd-20 dialed in to do a pretty good chorus sound. I have two other chorus pedals in my closet not doing anything at the moment that I can sell you. If you're interested they're the Ce-5 and Ch-1. They are both analog circutry from the 1990's before they changed to a more digital circutry in 2001. And yes, they do sound better than the new digital ones. The CE-5 is much closer in sound to my ce-2 but more flexible and with stereo outputs. The ch-1 may be more 90's sounding, but sounds great with distortion. PM me if your interested. If not, definitely check out a meistersinger.

Archived