Buffers-which one?

BBTweed

• Members

I'm looking for something that I can leave on all the time. I don't want to use a boost/OD/EQ as a buffer. I want a dedicated buffer.

I'm interested in:

Radial BigShot PB1 - The Drag feature looks pretty cool. But it is kinda big.

Axess BS2- It is small and has no switch. I could stick it to the underside of my board.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Members

I picked up an Axess BS-2 when they were going for $80ish, it's really nice. It's not like a night and day difference, but it makes everything seem SLIGHTLY more alive than without it. The really cool thing about the BS-2 is the extra options for routing multiple amps, pedal chains, etc. And if you have a tone killer, like a really bad tuner, you can separate it from the other pedals and basically cancel it out while still having access to it and all of your other pedals. They're expensive, and you could easily make a DIY buffer for next to nothing, but definately pick one up if you think the "splitter" features might come in handy.

• Members

plus an opamp, two resistors, two capacitors, a box, two jacks and you're done.

And this is exactly where I was getting at, haha. There's a reason why all of the super expensive dedicated buffers have all of the extra features tacked on, and that's because there's no way in hell they could ever justify that kind of price for a stand alone buffer.

Having said that though, the Axess BS-2 really does work great and is built like a tank. I definately reccomend it and I don't think you can really go wrong when it comes to buying a professionally designed buffer like either of the two that were mentioned, especially if you're not handy with a soldering iron. It's just a matter of whether or not you want to spend that kind of money when a simple DIY project can get you similar results.

Archived