akai headrush vs DL4... headrush better in any ways?

• Members

from what i know about the DL4 you can loop a delay. cant with the akai. you can fade loops in and out with the DL4. cant with the akai. you can layer overdubs with the akai and if you dont dig it you can erase it and be left with yr original loop. cant with DL4. the DL4 will break down or freeze or the jacks will fall through the casing. not with the akai.i think the DL4 may have more loop time?? or it might be the same time as the akai. i just got the akai yesterday so im still learning how to use it. but i did my homework and alot of people dig the headrush E2. but i dont know? maybe the DL4 is better:o :confused:

• Members

from what i know about the DL4 you can loop a delay. cant with the akai. you can fade loops in and out with the DL4. cant with the akai. you can layer overdubs with the akai and if you dont dig it you can erase it and be left with yr original loop. cant with DL4. the DL4 will break down or freeze or the jacks will fall through the casing. not with the akai.i think the DL4 may have more loop time?? or it might be the same time as the akai. i just got the akai yesterday so im still learning how to use it. but i did my homework and alot of people dig the headrush E2. but i dont know? maybe the DL4 is better:o
:confused:

how the hell do you loop delays and fade loops in and out? I wasn't aware of that... I wish you could use both the delays and looping at the same time :mad:

• Members

how the hell do you loop delays and fade loops in and out? I wasn't aware of that... I wish you could use both the delays and looping at the same time
:mad:

I wasnt aware of that too... I actually dont think you can do that with any of the preset delays... but on loop mode you have the choice of having one type of digi delay on the overall sound, that you control with the rotary knobs.

About the fading???? maybe using the expression pedal? I'm guessing!

I have the DL4 but lately I have been thinking on switching to E2:blah:

• Members

Modes NORMAL DELAY, TAPE ECHO and LOOPING

Resolution 16bit

Sample rate Normal : 44.1kHz

Extend: 29.4kHz

Maximum time Delay: 23.8 seconds

Tape Echo: 5.9 seconds

Looping: 23.8 seconds, 11.9 seconds overdub [Normal]

35.6 seconds, 17.8 seconds overdub [Extended]

Controls LEVEL, HF DAMP, FEEDBACK, TIME COARSE/TIME, TIME FINE/HEAD GAP, RATIO

I read somewhere the E2 also had real time delay time control....does that means you can use a pedal expression for it?

• Members

i fear that the DL4 is much more versatile, but reports of its failings do freak me out. the biggest problem i have with the E2 is that you can't loop octaves down/ speed up or octave normal/ slow down.

i hope i'm wrong, but i think i'm right.

anyhoo, its teh sexxy:

e2_front.jpg

• Members

i fear that the DL4 is much more versatile, but reports of its failings do freak me out. the biggest problem i have with the E2 is that you can't loop octaves down/ speed up or octave normal/ slow down.

anyhoo, its teh sexxy:

I think you're right, in addition to not doing reverse loops. The one other really cool thing that the Headrush has, though, is the ability of up to 4 "tape heads", which can be routed to different amps. Perhaps not always practical live, but must be fun to hook up various amps and be wrapped up in the glorious surround-sound of what you played some milliseconds ago.

• Members

yr right it doesnt. its just a great easy looper. but, im having a bit of a hard time gettting the loop to sound smooth without that tiny gap when it starts again:confused:

Is this due to just getting used to timing the loops, or does the Headrush introduce latency before it starts up the loop?

• Members

The E2 is under half the price.. Its way more reliable.. it takes normal 9v DC tip neg.. its quiet.. the delays/echo/tape sims rock (REALLY REALLY GOOD soundquality).. Looks cooler too

how do you figure? the DL-4 is $250 new and the E2 Headrush is $200 new. I got my DL-4 for $140... and I'm guessing that's probably how much I'd have to pay for a used E2 as well...

anyways, guys. I want more opinions on this, because I think I'm gonna get a separate delay (or maybe even two... sunny day delay and DMM are calling me :cry:), but I want either the DL-4 or E2 around for looping. I'd like a boomerang, but I'm not paying that much... so DL-4 or E2 will have to work :p

bump

• Members

this is just my opinion but that's what you asked for. i would never spend $250 for a pedal that has a very well documented reputation for failing. I don't doubt the DL-4 is great at what it does but I don't think I'd take my chances, but what do I know.

• Members

how do you figure? the DL-4 is $250 new and the E2 Headrush is $200 new. I got my DL-4 for $140... and I'm guessing that's probably how much I'd have to pay for a used E2 as well...

anyways, guys. I want more opinions on this, because I think I'm gonna get a separate delay

i got my akai new from GC for 170 out the door. i have a DMM and a DE-7(on loan for awhile). i might get a an echo park to pair up with my DMM. i bought the akai JUST for the looping.

• Members

Well im from Ireland so a Headrush is

• Members

anyhoo, its teh sexxy:

QUOTE]

You're right. Doesn't do reverse, octave up or down, or any of that stuff.

Also, anyone looking at this should realize that in the delay modes you CAN NOT tweak the delay or feedback knobs on the fly to make crazy pitchshifting noises...which is kind of a bummer, but if you're just getting this pedal for its looper that's not much of an issue, and even as it is I still really enjoy the two delays on it.

I would say for what they go for new, both the DL-4 and the E2 are a bit too much. I would almost suggest buying the first one you can find in good condition for around $150. The DL-4 has a lot of reported reliability issues, but when the E1 first came out I remember hearing the same thing, so I wouldn't let that factor too much into your decision. From what I've read around here many of the potential issues the DL-4 has can be fixed pretty quick and easy by anyone at home.

As for loop time, the DL-4 technically has around 22-24 seconds of loop time because you can put it in 1/2 time mode which effectively doubles the time available. Both headrush pedals have essentially the same amount of time, but the E2 has that extra time mode where it reduces the playback quality...I've found the time on the E1 to be more than enough for basic looping.

Another little thing to keep in mind is that with the Headrush you can only use overdubs for half of its total loop time, so if you record a loop that is longer than 11.4 seconds or whatever you can only use the one loop and not overdub. With the DL-4 in 1/2 time mode you can still overdub over the full 24 second range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, I have some pretty extensive experience with these pedals, so I'll offer you my opinion to the best of my ability.

The Dl-4 is a wonderful pedal in theory. It does have a varitey of delay modes (although some of them sound redundant if you ask me), and the looping functions work great. As to the person that mentioned there was a slight "delay" after he made a loop, that is just operator error. (wakka wakka) I'm not sure without looking if he was reffering to the E2 or the DL-4, but getting the timing right takes practice. Eventually you can create seamless loops, but even after having the thing you might screw something up. In a live situation the solution is to keep playing what you're looping in case you have to re-loop it.

Anyway-back to the delays, the dl-4 has some great delays, great modulation and the programming function which allows you to store three of your favorite settings. The looping function has been described in pretty good detail, so I won't be repeatative, but I will say that the one major problem I had with it was that after you play the loop for awhile, it fades out. So technically that does not make it a fully functioning looper, it's just a temporary 'phrase sampler'. Now-to explain how I came to this realization, what I'd do at some rehearsals would be to make a loop, maybe do a few overdubs on top of it until I had a nice little jam going on, then I'd hop over to the drum set and play along with it. It was great fun and all. One man band! The thing is, the longer the loop repeated, the quiter it would become until eventually it just sounded like electronic static and minimal volume. This wasn't really a problem if you needed to loop something for a minute, or maybe two..but if you plan on having something to loop for longer than that, realize you will have this issue.

Another problem is that when I switched between delays, some would be louder than the others and have an unnatural way of applying the effect. This is kind of hard to explain, but it's like the first delay was really loud, then it'd sound normal. I understand you can control the volume of the effect, and logic tells you the effects volumes differed between the two different presets, but I tried as hard as I could to 'match' the effects volumes and could never quite match them. It was extremely annoying.

Now, the biggest complaint on the Dl-4: I broke three of them. Yes, THREE. I should ahve learned after the first one, but I was so reliant upon it, I kept replacing them for gigging purposes. Everyone had the same problem, the stomp knobs fell straight through the crapping casing. These things are built like {censored} man. It's not that I abused them, and the last two I owned I was exteremely careul not to 'stomp' too hard, and checked the nuts frequently to make sure they weren't loose. The problem is near impossible to fix, because in order to replace them you have to rip the circuit board out.

The Akai is pretty well documented, it's not as versatile but has longer sample times, it's no frills, and honestly, It's the far superior pedal. It can do all of the things I needed the dl-4 to do, and do them better. The cons are the limited versatility ESPECIALLY with the sampling, but I don't really use mine to create then warp, I use it to layer, so the half speed, etc settings on the dl-4 were just nice options to have. Also you can't store your samples. I wish you could do that, and finally no presets. Thing is, if you're that into sampling and looping, you should have a boomerang, boss dd-20 or the rc-20.

Hope this helps. Buy the Akai, it's a badass pedal and absolutely worth the money. I refuse to support Line-6 after the many issues I've had with their quality of build. (not just this pedal) That might make me seem biased, but this is just one mans opinion.

Happy looping!

• Members

Aside from what was mentioned earlier, the main practical difference between the two is that my foot doesn't cave in the switches when I step on them on my Headrush. I wish I could say the same for my old DL-4.

(my buddy had the same thing happen to him with his DL-4)

Archived