Pick between these fuzz pedals?

AxemBlack

• Members

I'm GASing for a fuzz pedal, for sort of QOTSA, Hendrix tones, and maybe one that can get pretty heavy too if I need it too.

I'm found a few that are in my price range:

Little Big Muff

Toadworks Mad Dog (anyone know how much this is?)

DAM Meathead (maybe Meathead Deluxe?... how much are these, too?)

BBE Free Fuzz

Anyone had experience with those, and do you think they are suitable for what I want? I'm having no problems finding the LBM and Free Fuzz to buy in the UK, but I don't know where to get the other two. Can anyone also help me with that?

• Members

I've not played any of the others, but I'll give you my two cents on the little big muff. The sound is absolutely huge, you get sustain by the truck load (almost like it's got a built in compressor with maxed out sustain) and it's very bassy, unlike the big muff pi. I love mine...

• Members

I've not played any of the others, but I'll give you my two cents on the little big muff. The sound is absolutely huge, you get sustain by the truck load (almost like it's got a built in compressor with maxed out sustain) and it's very bassy, unlike the big muff pi. I love mine...

One bad thing I heard about it is that it doesn't cut through in a live mix very well because, well, it is a Muff. It muffles.

Dunno. Is this true?

Also, anyone tried a BBE Free Fuzz? Attractive price, just wondering if it can get the tones I'm after. I think it's a Fuzz Face type clone (or similar), so I reckon it could easily get Hendrix, but can it do anything else?

• Members

One bad thing I heard about it is that it doesn't cut through in a live mix very well because, well, it is a Muff. It muffles.

Dunno. Is this true?

I couldn't tell you, because I'm not playing live, although yeah the muffs tend to have that reputation. One thing I will say is I tend to boost it with my BD-2and it really thickens it up, so that is something you could consider...

• Members

I use my LBM into either a distortion pedal or a distorted amp, and with the tone knob almost maxed out, and sustain maxed. It cuts through for sure, well at least to my ears. God knows what the crowd can hear. And it shows my amp up because it has so much bass I don't know what to do with it.

• Members

I'm a big fan of my LBM, but if people are going to start throwing octave fuzzes into the mix, you could do a lot worse than picking up a Danelectro French Toast. One of the few examples of the hype being justified - great fuzz, modelled after the Foxx Tone Machine, but about

• Members

Anyone had experience with those, and do you think they are suitable for what I want? I'm having no problems finding the LBM and Free Fuzz to buy in the UK, but I don't know where to get the other two. Can anyone also help me with that?

I would go with the LBM. Great pedal for the price. If you can find one used (or if you got the money for a new one) look for a Baja Tech Custom DA MOAF. They are total stoner rock in a box.

• Members

I'm GASing for a fuzz pedal, for sort of QOTSA, Hendrix tones, and maybe one that can get pretty heavy too if I need it too.

I'm found a few that are in my price range:

Little Big Muff

Toadworks Mad Dog (anyone know how much this is?)

DAM Meathead (maybe Meathead Deluxe?... how much are these, too?)

BBE Free Fuzz

http://www.toadworksusa.com/soundclips/MD-Feedback.mp3

• Members

Also, anyone tried a BBE Free Fuzz? Attractive price, just wondering if it can get the tones I'm after. I think it's a Fuzz Face type clone (or similar), so I reckon it could easily get Hendrix, but can it do anything else?

I thought it was a clone of something rarer like a Fuzzrite or somthing

Archived