New to Synths. MicroKorg, SH-201, or NordLead 2x?

• Members

Does the Nord have a PC editor that works as a VST plugin inside a sequencer? Can you use USB to get both MIDI and audio I/O going between the Nord and a PC, with one cable, seamlessly?

Does the Nord have a feedback osc? Does it have fantastic, Roland top-quality built-in reverb and delay?

Does it have Roland's tone? Roland's supersaw sound?

Is it supported by a big company that is still selling parts for synths 20 years old?

Answer, no to all of the above. I really like Clavia, they make great stuff, but again, there are many, many reasons beyond even those above to look seriously at an SH-201. :)

• Members

First off, rule out the Microkorg, because it's miniature keys will totally throw you off if you are moving your fingers back and forth between it and an 88 onstage. At least it would me.

So between the other two if you are primarily using it onstage in a loud rock band I'd go with the SH-201. It had overdrive and delay... two effects I like when playing live, and a slightly better keyboard. Also I personally never have taken to Nord's pitch stick, but maybe you like it. The actual sound differences between the synth parts of these VAs will not matter all that much when you guys are roaring along with all the noise associated with a live venue. It's a different thing from laying down tracks.

• Members

Between those 3, the Nord Lead 2X is the obvious choice. Why aren't you considering the Alesis Ion?

Probably because I have an Alesis QS8.1 and don't like it for two reasons. It is hard to figure out, and I didn't really like the patches it came with.

Is the Ion the synth you would reccommend? It's probably completely different thant the QS8.1.

And thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely going to use it!:)

• Members

The QS is sample-based. The Ion is a knob-laden synth of the same family tree as the others you're proposing - a virtual analog - but it's not as light-weight and the on-board effects are less exciting, plus it's not as intuitive to work with.

On the other hand, it's got more soundsculpting abilities (which may not be of much use). The keybed is so-so.

• Members

The QS is sample-based. The Ion is a knob-laden synth of the same family tree as the others you're proposing - a virtual analog - but it's not as light-weight and the on-board effects are less exciting, plus it's not as intuitive to work with.

On the other hand, it's got more soundsculpting abilities (which may not be of much use). The keybed is so-so.

I see, that makes complete sense, they are totally different types of keyboards. I may be interested in the soundsculpting capabilities of the ION in the future, but for now, I may want something intuitive to help me get my feet wet.

• Members

If you are going to pay for a new Nord Lead 2X, you should check out the Access Virus KC (used). You get 32 voices with 4 total oscillators per voice, a much higher quality (than Nord or SH-201) 61 note keyboard, the best onboard effects you'll find with distortion and surround sound and even minimoog filter emulation. There are 2 ADSTR envelopes, 3 LFOs with 68 LFO waveforms and a hypersaw oscillator.

• Members

I've thought about selling my Ion and getting an NL2x many times, but the price difference and the fact that the Ion has more filter options keeps me from doing so. The Ion not only has the 12/24db lo/hi pass filters, but it has a bunch of variants of said filters, plus a bunch of formant/comb type filters as well.

Plus, the NL2x will be ~$1000 and the Alesis Ion will be ~$500, thats half the price. Just some food for thought....

• Members

I've thought about selling my Ion and getting an NL2x many times, but the price difference and the fact that the Ion has more filter options keeps me from doing so. The Ion not only has the 12/24db lo/hi pass filters, but it has a bunch of variants of said filters, plus a bunch of formant/comb type filters as well.

Plus, the NL2x will be ~$1000 and the Alesis Ion will be ~$500, thats half the price. Just some food for thought....

Excellent points. I was on the fence between the ION and the NL2X for a while. What it came down to was that I just couldn't stand the ION's ergonomics (personal taste). Great sounding machine, though, and serious bang-for-buck.

• Members

I looked online and seemed to have a problem finding a used Access. Where would one go about finding it. There is only one Ti polar available at GC and it's 2700!! Is the virius pretty intuitive?

You can get a KC used for around $1000. They pop up on ebay frequently. This store just sold one for $999 http://www.analoguehaven.com/used/

The KC is good to get if you are looking for a fuller size, semi weighted performance keyboard. If you want a smaller keyboard (37 key) with lighter, mushier keys, there is also the Virus Indigo.

The Virus has the same kind of knob laden interface as the Nord Lead. It has more knobs and buttons on it and is easy to use if you have some basic understanding of using the oscillators, filter, envelopes, etc. The Virus' manual is very helpful.

shamelessly stolen from vintagesynth.com-

viruskcgb2.jpg

indigo2yy9.jpg

Archived