MXR Microamp or TS808 for Boost?

• Members

^JCM900, and I am going for a hard rock/ 80's metal sound which is not achievable without a boost. I know, I know - get a JCM800, but I also play a bit of punk and alternative so it fits those styles perfectly - plus I got a really good deal on this amp. Any more opinions?

• Members

Yes - Marshall amp. Why does it matter, and why do you specifically recommend an SD-1 for a Marshall? Does it somehow interact different with Marshalls than it does with other amps? I don't think I would want an SD-1 unless I modded it, as stock they are not my fav. sound in the world.

• Members

As previous writters have mentioned, the MXR is a "clean" boost. I like the term transparent. Someone described the TS as "mid/nasal". This is one description you could use, I like mid-hump/creamy.

If you want to color the tone the TS would work very well. If you want a transparent signal boost the MXR would do the job. You may want to scope robertkeeley.com . I think it's the Katana or Java Boost that is completely transparent.

• Members

Yes - Marshall amp. Why does it matter, and why do you specifically recommend an SD-1 for a Marshall? Does it somehow interact different with Marshalls than it does with other amps? I don't think I would want an SD-1 unless I modded it, as stock they are not my fav. sound in the world.

It matters because for some reason, the tube screamers with the midrange hump, tend to sound unpleasant on British amps such as Marshalls and Vox, but sound great on Fender amps.

Whereas the Boss SD-1 or MXR D+/II (also check out the DOD 250) don't have that midrange hump, sound great on the British amps.

If you look at a lot of the rigs of Marshall amp users (ie. Ynwgie, Van Halen), they use non-tube screamer boosts. In fact, Eddie uses a Boss SD-1:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/258/

• Members

Well that is why I asked how it compared with the MXR Microamp. Also, Eddie used that SD-1 with a 5150, not a Marshall, and it was almost definitely modded.

I own an MXR Microamp, in fact, the vintage one without the LED. Highly KISSable. Those forumites who were here from the old school days remember my quest for one.

My opinion on the Microamp is this: it'll give you exactly the same amount of drive you have, just louder. Not more drive, just more volume. It's a clean boost. I don't think it'll do what you want it to do (more overdrive).

As said, try an Boss SD-1, MXR DII/+ or DOD 250. You can thank me later.

• Members

Well isn't that just creating distortion in the box? For instance, when you turn up the gain on a Tubescreamer, the diode circuit creates gain which adds the gritty sound. It does not work with the actual actual amp, it acts alone as a mini ss preamp to produce that grit. Or at least that it how I've always known they worked - but maybe I was totally wrong.

• Members

So you are saying it won't boost the signal causing the pre, and poweramps to overdrive more?

Slamming the front end with a hotter signal will definitely do that though it may not be the tone you're looking for. I think for the metal thing you'd want to go with a TS or SD-1. The TS can tighten things up. You'll lose some low end but it can give you that tight metallic sound when combined with an amp that's already cookin'.

And, in my experience the reissue Micro Amp isn't that great. The switch in mine crapped out within a week and it's soldered directly to the circuit board which makes replacing it a pain.

Archived