A/B Switching.

fly135

• Members

I'm starting to put together a pedal board and I was wondering how many people a/b switch the FX. Doesn't putting them all in line mess up the tone? It seems like my Russian Bug Muff really dulls the signal in bypass mode. I've looked at some A/B boxes and they all seem to only switch 1 in to two outs or vice versa. It seems like if you are going to switch two chains that you would need a pair of boxes. Which begs the question, why don't they make them with a pair of switches.

• Members

I'm starting to put together a pedal board and I was wondering how many people a/b switch the FX. Doesn't putting them all in line mess up the tone? It seems like my Russian Bug Muff really dulls the signal in bypass mode. I've looked at some A/B boxes and they all seem to only switch 1 in to two outs or vice versa. It seems like if you are going to switch two chains that you would need a pair of boxes. Which begs the question, why don't they make them with a pair of switches.

Maybe like a bypass switch?

Like this one.

• Members

If you use a lot of pedals, particularly good ones that offer "true bypass", then Yes, you will definitely lose some volume and tone.

Many players don't realize that pedals without buffers reduce resistance on the electrical signal as it passes through one pedal into the next, etc... after a few non-buffered pedals, the signal coming out the last pedal will be significantly lower in volume and presence than if you suddenly plugged directly into your amp.

This is why if you have many pedals, it's actually a good idea to have some that are buffered in the midst of the signal chain -- i.e. that do not provide true bypass. The buffer basically is a miniature amplifier that maintains the signal level whether or not the effect is On or Off.

For the tone fiends who love their high-end pedals and the quest for ultimate tone, these players don't really use A/B switching for this... they get pedal switching systems with true bypass loops. It enables individual pedals to be removed from the signal path. A switching system with buffers maintains your signal level. For players who only use one or two pedals at a time, they'll opt for a switching system that features all true bypass loops, but they know that if all the loops are engaged, their signal level will decrease.

Hope this helps a little,

Scott

Babicz_Contest_signature.jpg

• Members

i've always thought of a/b or ab/y switching my board. but i can't be bothered. they sound fine as they are. i've got a few non-tb pedals in my chain too, not that i'm bothered by signal degradation if i can't detect it with my ear.

but i just won't put my zoom volume pedal in there though. now that, i find, kills some signal.

Archived