Snake Oil Strings - Original vs Rock Formula

BTBAM

• Members

So...someone inform me of the difference between the two in feel, playability, and sound? I have some of the orignal, but before ordering some for my other guitars, I thought i'd see the main differences.

• Members

I've used both. I like the Original nickels the best on Fenders. The Rock formula was a bit brighter I suppose. The wound strings on the Rocks felt sort of like the Everly B-52s... I think they both have some iron content?

The plain strings are the same, which is to say, awesome.

I dunno... it's hard to put to words. Have you tried either yet? What guitar is it for?

• Members

You should just get a set of the Rocks and check them out for yourself then. It's so subjective and hard to describe.

FWIW, I use the Original Nickels on my single coil Fender guitars and I use other brands on my Gibsons, Ricks, etc. I didn't care for the Snakes on the Gibsons for some reason. But I love them on my Strat.

:thu:

• Members

Yea...i have the rick strings on the rick... either d'addario or now these snake oils for the teles, and then i normally use the elixers for my les paul and prs because it seems to make it smooth but thick sounding.

I might just get some for the telecasters then.

• Members

Yea...i have the rick strings on the rick... either d'addario or now these snake oils for the teles, and then i normally use the elixers for my les paul and prs because it seems to make it smooth but thick sounding.

I might just get some for the telecasters then.

How are the Rick strings? I was thinking about trying some. Do they really work better for the Ricks? I have a 620/12 (the thin solid body 12 string).

• Members

How are the Rick strings? I was thinking about trying some. Do they really work better for the Ricks? I have a 620/12 (the thin solid body 12 string).

i wish i had a 620...i have the 360, but the strings are great. Compressed roundwound, so they have a flat wound type of feel, but not....i actually really like them.

• Members

i wish i had a 620...i have the 360, but the strings are great. Compressed roundwound, so they have a flat wound type of feel, but not....i actually really like them.

Cool. They are on my list to buy then.

BTW, I have mine strung as a 6 string... the neck is too narrow for 12 string! But it works great as a 6 string.

Good luck with the Snake Oil experiment!

• Members

Cool. They are on my list to buy then.

BTW, I have mine strung as a 6 string... the neck is too narrow for 12 string! But it works great as a 6 string.

Good luck with the Snake Oil experiment!

let me know how you like those rick strings!

Archived