New Rhodes user...

Steve Howe

• Members

Hi,

I'm a long HCFX dork who got a Fender Mark I Rhodes Seventy Three Stage yesterday in a straight trade for a Fender American Tele. The previous owner bought it broken and being an electrical fixed it up himself. Now I'm no expert but the condition is excellent and it plays wonderfully and sounds the same. I just had a few questions. First, how do I date it? I don't even know where the serial number is. Second, how do I know for sure what condition it is in? Finally, what kind of amp should I run this thing through? I want something warm with tremolo. This is the most inspiring instrument I have ever played. :blah::wave:

• Members

When you take the top cover off, there's a number stamped in the upper right corner of the harp wood - should be 4 numbers. If it says, for example, 4571, then it was manufactured in 1971.

Play it through any Fender tube amp for the warmest sound. Twin or Deluxe reverb have been my optimal sounds.

If it's in good physical condition and plays well, then it's in good condition :) If you pull the top off you can look at the rubber tonebar grommets and see if they're drying out, you can see if the felts on the hammers look good, etc. But really because these things are so tempermental, I'd leave it alone quite frankly if you have a good specimen.

Congrats on your purchase - I'm getting rid of mine but mine doesn't play well and it ruins the fun :)

• Members

A Deluxe Reverb could really do it? Also, those 4 digits are all kinda gone. Anyway I can ID it from the serial number?

If you post some pics we might be able to help. There are some key characteristics that might help to narrow the dates down.

For example, is it a "Fender Rhodes" or a "Rhodes", are the hammer shafts plastic? and so on...

• Members

If you post some pics we might be able to help. There are some key characteristics that might help to narrow the dates down.

For example, is it a "Fender Rhodes" or a "Rhodes", are the hammer shafts plastic? and so on...

It says Fender Rhodes, not quite sure what you mean by the hammer shafts but the keys are made of what seems to be plywood? :freak:

• Members

It says Fender Rhodes, not quite sure what you mean by the hammer shafts but the keys are made of what seems to be plywood?
:freak:

Okay its pre 1975. you want to look inside the rhodes and check the hammers that also have the tips on them.

If they are wooden and not plastic then that also dates it earlier to around 1972 I think...

Archived