dropped Area 51 pot in hendrix wah (no kit)

thebrownkey

• Members

well the pot has been really scratchy lately in my hendrix wah so i decided to try something other than the stock pot for a replacement.

it seems like a well made sturdy pot, and at $16.95 it seemed like something to try. it was $8.80 shipping, so the total cam to around $26, roughly the same as other replacement pots.

i should note that the dunlop one was $27-$33, and to me they dont seem to last long- even considering i dont use a wah all the time

first i should tell you how it sounded stock:

very good IMO. it had a nice mid-hump that sounded classic, instant hendrix wah (duh). it did not get into heavy treble territory like a stock crybaby, but unlike the crybaby (even when you rotate the crybaby pot back to kill treble) it DID have that thick mid/muted trumpet tone. my 1 and only complaint was that it seemed a bit muffled, even when left in 1 spot. not bad at all, but noticable. very talky - but not as much as a clyde or budda

now after dropping the area 51 pot in"

the first thing i noiced was just how clear it sounded. i dont just mean just dead quiet, but the tone was opened up alot and the muffled vibe was gone. cool because that was my main concern. the sweep is very usable, from guttery lows through a nice little mid-hump to treble territory. it does not go high into piercing treble territory - even with the pot dropped in to reach full treble rotation

so none of that piercing/shrill crybaby top end, although the treble does go further bright than the stock jh-1 hendrix wah.

now - i was aiming for something equally as mid-humped (talky/trumpet) as the jh-1 but without the muffled thing happening. what i have now is a wah when used with heavy drive that seems perfect for hammett type tones (think "wherever i may roam"), it especially sounds wicked left in 1 spot just shy of treble....much more of a thick-assed tonal booster than a stock crybaby.

its even much better than the jh-1 when left in 1 spot.

.............as for the mid-hump that i wanted.-now it has slightly less of the talky/trumpet vibe than the stock jh-1 has. but its still way more than a crybaby has. still - i was shooting for as much or more, so in that sense it lessened the vintage vibe a tad. not much at all, but enough to mention.

but it really turned the muffled mid-heavy wah into a slightly less mid-humped wah but honestly its much more usable now. the best way i can describe it is a wah that is quite at home clean/slightly dirty doing vintage but shines so well when used with distortion.

sorry bout the long review- but i wanted to be clear. it now is so crystal clear (in a good way) it sounds as if someone removed the "wet blanket" out of the wah. also, it really will get alot more use since it now sounds so good when soloing with light-heavy distortion.

its a very thick wah tone that just begged to be used fast or slow when playing rock/metal type solos. thats where it shines. with a crybaby you know how its clearly a wah in a solo - but the effect itself is not super thick? well, this is the oppisite. its as if theres a "mix" knob to make it very useful for heavy music because the effect itself is very prominant even when saturated.

in the end - if i wanted to go for a strictly vintage sounding heavily mid-humped wah, i may opt for another pot. i know the pot alone does not make a wah vintage/modern/mild/prominant - but it does make a big difference.

the original hot-potz1 (now they use hotpotz2) was slightly more mid-humped - but with that came a muffled tone that was somewhat thick but still kinda muffled/muted.

i will recommend this pot for someone looking to beef up thier crybaby/hendrix wah with a pot that will give a much more prominant wah-wah effect. something that gives a huge dramatic effect to even the slightest sweeps.

also i should mention that it is still very capable of the talky/muted trumpet thing, way much moreso than say a crybaby. its just not quite as mid-humped as what I was hoping. it did great things for my wah in terms of clarity and dramatically thick "wah-wah with distortion" tones that is really sweet in its rotation.

maybe ill just get another wah and keep it strictly for vintage/mid-honk stuff. i say that because i cannot imagine removing this pot for any reasons because of how useful and thick it is now. from heel to toe its dramatic.

just something to think about. it was easy enough for a sloppy solder-er like myself

• Members

well the pot has been really scratchy lately in my hendrix wah so i decided to try something other than the stock pot for a replacement.

it seems like a well made sturdy pot, and at $16.95 it seemed like something to try. it was $8.80 shipping, so the total cam to around $26, roughly the same as other replacement pots.

i should note that the dunlop one was $27-$33, and to me they dont seem to last long- even considering i dont use a wah all the time

very good IMO. it had a nice mid-hump that sounded classic, instant hendrix wah (duh). it did not get into heavy treble territory like a stock crybaby, but unlike the crybaby (even when you rotate the crybaby pot back to kill treble) it DID have that thick mid/muted trumpet tone. my 1 and only complaint was that it seemed a bit muffled, even when left in 1 spot. not bad at all, but noticable. very talky - but not as much as a clyde or budda

the first thing i noiced was just how clear it sounded. i dont just mean just dead quiet, but the tone was opened up alot and the muffled vibe was gone. cool because that was my main concern. the sweep is very usable, from guttery lows through a nice little mid-hump to treble territory. it does not go high into piercing treble territory - even with the pot dropped in to reach full treble rotation

so none of that piercing/shrill crybaby top end, although the treble does go further bright than the stock jh-1 hendrix wah.

now - i was aiming for something equally as mid-humped (talky/trumpet) as the jh-1 but without the muffled thing happening. what i have now is a wah when used with heavy drive that seems perfect for hammett type tones (think "wherever i may roam"), it especially sounds wicked left in 1 spot just shy of treble....much more of a thick-assed tonal booster than a stock crybaby.

.............as for the mid-hump that i wanted.-now it has slightly less of the talky/trumpet vibe than the stock jh-1 has. but its still way more than a crybaby has. still - i was shooting for as much or more, so in that sense it lessened the vintage vibe a tad. not much at all, but enough to mention.

but it really turned the muffled mid-heavy wah into a slightly less mid-humped wah but honestly its much more usable now. the best way i can describe it is a wah that is quite at home clean/slightly dirty doing vintage but shines so well when used with distortion.

sorry bout the long review- but i wanted to be clear. it now is so crystal clear (in a good way) it sounds as if someone removed the "wet blanket" out of the wah. also, it really will get alot more use since it now sounds so good when soloing with light-heavy distortion.

its a very thick wah tone that just begged to be used fast or slow when playing rock/metal type solos. thats where it shines. with a crybaby you know how its clearly a wah in a solo - but the effect itself is not super thick? well, this is the oppisite. its as if theres a "mix" knob to make it very useful for heavy music because the effect itself is very prominant even when saturated.

in the end - if i wanted to go for a strictly vintage sounding heavily mid-humped wah, i may opt for another pot. i know the pot alone does not make a wah vintage/modern/mild/prominant - but it does make a big difference.

the original hot-potz1 (now they use hotpotz2) was slightly more mid-humped - but with that came a muffled tone that was somewhat thick but still kinda muffled/muted.

i will recommend this pot for someone looking to beef up thier crybaby/hendrix wah with a pot that will give a much more prominant wah-wah effect. something that gives a huge dramatic effect to even the slightest sweeps.

also i should mention that it is still very capable of the talky/muted trumpet thing, way much moreso than say a crybaby. its just not quite as mid-humped as what I was hoping. it did great things for my wah in terms of clarity and dramatically thick "wah-wah with distortion" tones that is really sweet in its rotation.

maybe ill just get another wah and keep it strictly for vintage/mid-honk stuff. i say that because i cannot imagine removing this pot for any reasons because of how useful and thick it is now. from heel to toe its dramatic.

just something to think about. it was easy enough for a sloppy solder-er like myself

I recently got the entire drop-in kit from A51, outstanding. :eek:

• Members

i don't understand what you are saying here

• Members

Nice review, very in depth :thu:

• Members

That's weird.

If it's just the pot you replaced, it shouldn't have changed the tone at all...only the sweep of the pot from heel to toe.

That is, you should have exactly the same tones with both...just at different places in the sweep. You're not changing the circuitry at all. Just using a different potentiometer, which still ranges from 0 to 100k.

• Members

That's weird.

If it's just the pot you replaced, it shouldn't have changed the tone at all...only the sweep of the pot from heel to toe.

That is, you should have exactly the same tones with both...just at different places in the sweep. You're not changing the circuitry at all. Just using a different potentiometer, which still ranges from 0 to 100k.

Amazing Isn't it.:p

• Members

That's weird.

i was going to say that too :wave:

• Members

That's weird.

i thought so too before doing this

the only thing ive ever done to "mod" a wah other than drop-in replacing broken/worn parts is to take the pot and roll it back a click or 2.

dropping this pot in definately did change the tonal character. the muffled blanket that seemed to be the jh-1s only downside is completely gone. thats the first thing i noticed. the 2nd thing as i got to rocking the pedal is that theres slightly less of the mid-hump that the jh-1 has- but the effect is much more prominant and seems to have a smoother time (tonally) getting from bottom to top.

lots more effective when using a really dirty/pushed amp now

i just wanted to be clear that im not saying its different as in "tweaked the pot rotation by adjusting it". but there is a different character in the wah now. not night & day different like going from a crybaby to a clyde, but different enough to clearly hear it.

so i guess im trying to say without arguing that yes, simply changing the pot alone can tonaly change the character of a wah pedal - different mid-character. different type of hump in the middle. it has nothing to do with having a tad more bottom or top end. i dont have eric johnsons ears so im not trying to sound anal, but it was noticable. and nothing else was changed

• Members

i don't understand what you are saying here

what about here?

or here?

na, really i did take too long getting to the point.

i just wanted to say it sounds different. not different as in changing the starting and ending frequencies by rotating the pot- but different as in different character. it does not sound like the same pot that was in there.

slightly less vintage sounding but much more clear and no muffle present, as well as giving a deeper "mix" of wah-wah when used with heavy gain

Archived