I just got an EH Metal Muff

• Members

I've heard some very good things about EHX pedals and the Metal Muff in particular, so I took what little money I had and bought one today.

And I really don't like it. I was expecting it to be some quality, general purpose distortion, and it turns out that no matter where I twist the knobs, it sounds all fuzzy and losses a lot of tone. When I try to arpeggiate chords or even play anything more complex than a power chord it's hard to tell I'm playing anything at all. The distortion just mixes it up too much. I can't even get a half decent Iron Maiden or Megadeth sound out of it.

I am doing something wrong, is it my sucky SS amp, or does the pedal plain suck? Any help?

• Members

I've heard some very good things about EHX pedals and the Metal Muff in particular, so I took what little money I had and bought one today.

And I really don't like it. I was expecting it to be some quality, general purpose distortion, and it turns out that no matter where I twist the knobs, it sounds all fuzzy and losses a lot of tone. When I try to arpeggiate chords or even play anything more complex than a power chord it's hard to tell I'm playing anything at all. The distortion just mixes it up too much. I can't even get a half decent Iron Maiden or Megadeth sound out of it.

I am doing something wrong, is it my sucky SS amp, or does the pedal plain suck? Any help?

its really not that great of a pedal, sell it!

im sure with certain amp/guitar combos it can be good but you're best off getting rid of it IMO

• Members

the metal muff reminds me of the boss ds1 with it shrilly edgey trebley distortion, sounds great with my amp, cuts through and gets under the ears and is very tweakable, id imagine its your solid state amp or maybe you had your hopes too high for what the metal muff was supposed to sound like

• Members

Then what is some good general purpose distortion for the same price? I'm really looking for the IM/GnR sound but I'd go both heavier and lighter with no problems.

For a little more, you could get an MI Audio Crunch Box. It sounds good through my friend's old Peavey SS head. I don't know how it'll sound through yours, but it's a great distortion pedal.

• Members

Well the Metal Muff sounds absolutely stellar through some amps, and through others it is crap. You need a truly dark amp to have the Metal Muff roar. As for the fuzz, I've had my metal muff for about 7 months now, and I have never heard fuzz. Too bad about your experience with the pedal, I wouldn't get rid of mine cause with my setup it kicks hard.

Next time you buy a pedal especially a distortion pedal, you have to try it with your setup, or something very similar, and you really can't take someones opinion as gospel. Distortion is a beast to finally find, so many options, and so much crap.

Now the better pedals I have played are:

Tech 21 Sansamp

Zoom tri-metal

Line6 UberMetal

But I wonder how you have your settings on the MM, it is an EHX product and the sweeps on their tone knobs are huge. And I also found that when you cut too much mids out of the MM you end up with sludge.

Hope you get your problems worked out, and find something that suits your needs.

• Members

For $60 new, you can get a Danelectro Fab Distortion, Fab Metal, and Fish 'n' Chips Eq. I've tried a bunch of stuff, and those three kick ass. The Fab Dist. is so Gilmour-glassy it's sick!!! :love:

Stay away from the cheap Behringers (for gigging anyway) though. One of their ($40) plastic rack-eq's--that I babied--just went out on me, and the warranty people aren't answering my email. Their metal mic-pre ($100) lasted about 3 years before a knob cut-out. It seems you get about 1 year of service for every $30 of Behr product. :(

• Members

Just let me know what gear you have, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Here's a clip I made, let me know how much different of a sound you want, first half is higher gain, second half is low gain, all metal muff.

Will PM you back.

• 13 years later...

Archived