OCD in the house!!!

Vince

• Members

Had a chance to play both pedals today at church in the band, and I've just had a good play with them at home on my own and I reckon I prefer the hotcake.
The OCD is nice, but I have my hayseed set for quite a bright clean sound (normal vol at 9 linked to top boost channel set just a fraction lower. Treble and bass at 11 and 1 respectively. cut also at 9, with master volume and 1/2 power switch set depending on the room). This gives me (with my tele) a great jangly clean that breaks up ever so slightly when strummed hard and with a touch of comp sounds lovely for arpeggios.

The OCD is a bit harsher in the treble than the hotcake and a bit less pronounced in the midrange. It has a very useable tone control, but I could never get rid of the top end fizz that I hated on my BD-2 when using the top boost and normal channels linked. It sounded amazing with the normal channel alone as I find this can be a bit too dull on it's own, but with the tone control turned up (1 or 2) I could get a nice crunchy od from the OCD when the Hotcake sounded to muffled.

However, with both channels on, the hotcake was much better - it had as I've said, more midrange, and possibly more distortion available - it fedback nicely at low volumes whilst the OCD didn't. I also prefer the way notes fade away on the hotcake - it is much smoother than the OCD. It also cleans up nicer when turning the volume down on the guitar, and picking with a lighter touch. When turning the volume down (on my guitar) with the Hotcake, the level remained higher than with the OCD which is very useful when going from loud to quiet bits.

The hotcake also reacts better to other pedals - it prefered my comp, whereas the OCD just didn't like it for some reason, as well as getting on nicely with my wah. It also loved, and I mean loved, being boosted by the OCD set for mild od - fantastic rock sound!!

If this all sounds a bit anti-OCD, it's not. I'm sure if I had a different amp, this would be an amazing pedal, but for me and my hayseed, I can't justify it against the hotcake. If you only use the normal channel of a Vox (or similar), then the OCD would probably be the one for you, but seeing as I use both channels, I'll be keeping the hotcake (anyone want to buy an OCD??), and I can't afford to have 2

Archived