Superfuzz derivatives

• Members

Who made non-univox superfuzz pedals back in the day? The original is proving rather tricky to find. The ibanez standard fuzz looks like one (I think) and is cheap, but what others are there?

:)

What you want to look for is pedals that have the same kind of control layout. Balance, Expander and tone switch. Mica-Tone, JAX, to name a few. Problem is these days everyone knows they are like a Univox and so they dont go cheap.

• Members

Who made non-univox superfuzz pedals back in the day? The original is proving rather tricky to find. The ibanez standard fuzz looks like one (I think) and is cheap, but what others are there?

:)

The ibanez standard fuzz is a bit different - has a FET input and is more ragged sounding. For me this is good, for others, this can be bad.

Bascially as was said before - if it has 2 knobs called 'ba;ance' and 'expander' and a switch for 2 modes then you're in the ballpark. There's Apollo, Royal, Shaftesbury, .... a ton. That's part of the fun.

:thu:

• Members

yeah I know. But didn't they have a different one that was closer to the Superfuzz?

Shin-ei made the Super Fuzz - AFAIK the Univox circuit is licensed from, if not made by Shin-ei.

In other Superfuzz news MC-FX have recent released a Deluxed SuperFuzz clone with a tone control as opposed to the 1-2 switch and 2 three-position tone switchs. Apparantly that equals 9 tone voicings :eek: US$250

• Members

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll do some hunting.

Anymore info on the octane 3 would be appreciated. Seems somewhat higher gain and more gated from the video as appose to that stinging sustain of a superfuzz, although its always hard to judge from clips.

• Members

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll do some hunting.

Anymore info on the octane 3 would be appreciated. Seems somewhat higher gain and more gated from the video as appose to that stinging sustain of a superfuzz, although its always hard to judge from clips.

Well, I have Octane 3 but I have absolutely no experience of a real SuperFuzz. But you are right Octane is really high gain and sounds pretty much like it does on that video, at least when played with a guitar with high output humbuckers.

• Members

Univox was just the American importer (and some domestic) gear. Shin-ei made for them and others. You can see the first version of the SF under the Shaefsbury and other names.

On the same page:

6 and 8 transistor fuzz wahs. The knobs on the side = Super Fuzz with wah, knobs on the front (toe end of the pedal) are the 6 transistor ones and are closer to the Kay but still pretty ripping.

kay fuzz, still crazy prices here.

Foxx Tone Machine, and Fuzz Wah. Different circuit, but octave fuzz, more control than the Univox one.

Ibanez/Bruno/etc. Standard fuzz and fuzzwah. Again great sound, FET input.

Alternado and Unicord (among others) AC powered Fuzz. It is a Super Fuzz with an AC input, and external footswitch (relay control inside).

Royal Fuzz Wah, superfuzz with a wah, there are two PCBs in this one, one is a super fuzz one is the wah.

Acetone FZ-2. This one is cool with the tone control on a switch.

• Members

I used to have an old apollo that was pretty good.

The bee baa is in the super fuzz family but different then the original.

yeah - as in REALLY different. About as closely related to a superfuzz as a tubescreamer.

Or maybe that was just the ones I had?

• Members

The Guyatone TZ-2 is based on the Superfuzz, cheap too. It doesn't have the mojo of the old Superfuzzes though, no big honking fuzz pedals here.

Yes - the guyatone is kinda superfuzzy - not as close as the Boss FZ-2, but still really cool.

• Members

man I feel cool, I had an original first year sF for a while there, but I felt a little too much like mudhoney, so I GAVE it to a freind. I had had It forever, I didn't even know where it came from, a closet in my parents house or something, a uniwah too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What you want to look for is pedals that have the same kind of control layout.

Shaftsbury Duo-Fuzz... the controls and casing are identical to the Univox.

Are they literally identical or are there any internal differences?

• Members

Shaftsbury Duo-Fuzz... the controls and casing are identical to the Univox.

Are they literally identical or are there any internal differences?

Identical within the permutations that the Super Fuzz went through. People put their own stickers on the pedals Shin-ei put out.

Archived