which is better EHX DMM or Boss-DD-20

• Members

tough to compare. the DMM does a few things very, very well. it has a short delay compared to what you can dial in on the dd20, and it has a nice warm, slightly dark, analogue delay sound. no better delay sound imo.

the dd20 is a really great workhorse. it does a ton of things and does most all of them well. it's capable of looping, storing presets, tap tempo, delay modeling, etc etc.

essentially both are awesome. if you don't care about sampling or super-long delay times, get the DMM. if you care too much about both, get both, as i did :)

• Members

the dd-20 is excellent if you seek versatility. the dmm is excellent if you seek the most gorgeous sounding analog delay known to man. the modulate and analog settings on the dd-20 don't hold a candle to the dmm in terms of sound quality IMO.

• Members

^^ Say Word Son!!!The EHX DMM is THE best delay out there.

I didnt like the DD20 at all. sure it is ""versatile" but it doesnt really do anything great. If you want tap tempo and looping plus a great delay sound go for an AKAI Headrush.

A Headrush and a DMM is my favorite delay combo ever.

• Members

I was in the same situation a week or so ago. I dumped my Holy Grail and moved my DD 3 to a different board so I had space for either a DMM or a DD 20. I wound up with a DMM because I saw it on eBay for $185 shipped. I miss the slightly longer times on the DD 3 (500ms on the DMM as opposed to the 800 on the DD 3) but the sound is much, much warmer on the DMM. The modulation is pretty cool also...

Another thing to consider is the fact that the DMM is going up in price due to the rumored scarcity of the chips. For me, this is probably the only chance I'd get to try one out because I'm not paying inflated prices for the DMM.

I say look around for a good, used price on either one and buy the first one you see. If the price is low enough, you should be able to flip and get your $$ backk.

c

• Members

What about the Memory Lane as a tap tempo version of the DMM?

I dont get the love for this overpriced pedal. If you bought the EHX DMM and a Headrush you would still spend $200 less then the diamond. You would also get the added plus of having a great looper in the AKAI.

Why spend the money on the silly ass Diamond, especially since you, me or the next guy will never, NEVER, ever be able to hear the difference in a live context. Hell i bet you couldnt justify it in a recording context.

• Members

I dont get the love for this overpriced pedal. If you bought the EHX DMM and a Headrush you would still spend $200 less then the diamond. You would also get the added plus of having a great looper in the AKAI.

Why spend the money on the silly ass Diamond, especially since you, me or the next guy will never, NEVER, ever be able to hear the difference in a live context. Hell i bet you couldnt justify it in a recording context.

Where do you buy your DMMs and Headrushes? A Memory Lane is only $400, maybe a little more. A new DMM is $315.

Personally, I hate my DMM, and I'm not a huge fan of the DD-20 either, so I would steer you way from both.

• Members

^ my bad i thought they (Diamond memory lane) were $600. O well Ill change my statement to you can could still get the two better pedals i mentioned for the same price as a Diamond.

Iff you pay over 280 for a DMM your getting ripped.

DMM's can be had fairly regularly for around $200, and Headrushes are either $100 or $200 new depending on which version you're getting. A new Memory Lane is $429, I believe.

As far as the comparison between the DMM and Memory Lane is concerned, I don't see much similarity really. I've owned a ML in the past, and it was probably the prettiest sounding "clean" modulated delay I've ever heard. The DMM, however, has more of a murky, ambient quality to it that I prefer. It's darker by nature, although the tilt EQ on the Memory Lane gives lots of variety.

The Memory Lane is easily more flexible, with the added control over EQ, effects loop, and tap tempo. But they're pretty different sounding to me. Plus, the oscillation on the Memory Lane is horrific in my opinion. The DMM's is lovely.

• Members

The DMM is my favorite delay. does wonders for recording.. anything!

just luch analog delay. setting it for a long repeat and listening to the sweet decay... mmmmmm. For me, it's a pedal that makes me want to play more.

• Members

I've owned both and the DMM is still on my board, the DD-20 got sold when it arrived. They're both excellent pedals but completely different - I just realised I didn't need all the modes and sounds that the DD-20 did (and very well at that) and also got adept at dialing in delay times, when I first started using delay I thought that tap tempo would be a must for live delay use, but it isn't really.

The DMM I just find suits me well and is a beautfiul sounding delay for the sounds I want, I dial it in for shimmering vibrato with low delay time to blossom, discrete tempo matched repeats for a few lead lines and a nice offbeat slightly chorused repeat for some appegiated stuff. It works wonderfully and just sounds more organic than the DD-20 even though it involves some stooping and knob turning. But who doesn't like dialing in pedals?

st1.jpg

I have a feeling I'll not sell it. The Vestax MDX is a Digital Delay with modulation that I think is going to go on ebay - i just don't use it enough and it's a fabulous pedal.

• Members

I used to have them both. The dmm inputs overloaded way to easily, and it didn't have enough delay time for me. Sure, you can pay to get it adjusted, but that's starting to get way more expensive then I'd want to put into it. The dmm's also {censored}ing huge and requires its own power supply, which was just a pain in the ass.

I'm going to go against the grain and say dd-20. You can get a lot of different sounds out of it, and most of them sound really good. It can also get that 650 ms of delay I need.

That being said, I just sold my dd-20 because I don't use delay that much anymore and can be happy with my magic stomp.

Archived