Favorite RAT pedal?

• Members

I want to pick up a RAT and just wanted some opinions on what I should be looking for. In a perfect world I would have an FKR but I don't think i'm going to be able to find one. So what do you guys prefer, vintage RAT, RAT 2, Turbo Rat, Deuctone, BYOC Mighty Mouse, Keeley 3-way modded? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

• Members

I've tried pretty much all of them and I ended up going with a Deucetone. I'm replacing the chips with originals for a little better tone. IMO though they're all pretty great. I love the big box vintage reissues, the Rat 2 is solid, and the originals can stand up to any boutique OD made today. I even had an FKR for a minute, which was amazing, but just too many knobs for me. I needed something that I could set and go. The BYOC is really great, pretty much nails the original sound. I'm actually selling mine now that I picked up my Deucetone if you decide on one of those. It's pre-built, so no issues. Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, but I have serious love for Rats, so I had to put in my two cents.

• Members

I've tried pretty much all of them and I ended up going with a Deucetone. I'm replacing the chips with originals for a little better tone. IMO though they're all pretty great. I love the big box vintage reissues, the Rat 2 is solid, and the originals can stand up to any boutique OD made today. I even had an FKR for a minute, which was amazing, but just too many knobs for me. I needed something that I could set and go. The BYOC is really great, pretty much nails the original sound. I'm actually selling mine now that I picked up my Deucetone if you decide on one of those. It's pre-built, so no issues. Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, but I have serious love for Rats, so I had to put in my two cents.

i appreciate the input. i'm used to running one lower gain overdrive and a fuzz but lately i've been trying to simplify and i think a nice distortion would even me out pretty well. i just want to go from clean to mean.

• Members

I have a Keeley and a freakshow... the freakshow is more amp like but it has much less gain and it's not as easy to play. It takes my lonestar better but the keeley takes most different amps better imo... like twins... mark series boogies. the keeley is back on the board and the freakshow is getting sold... any takers??? pm me if interested.

• Members
I have a RAT2 with the Reutz resistor snip to lower the gain and add some more low-end. Sounds amazing.

i have one too :thu: it's great.

this week i installed a trimpot where the resistor was; makes it much more tweakable. my only (slight) issue with the Ruetz mod is that it restricts the effectiveness of the filter control - i found i had to leave it near to- or fully open otherwise it would sound too dark.

now that i'm happy with the way that the trimpot works, i may even swap it for a full size pot to allow external adjustment of the Ruetz:stock ratio. i currently have it approx 75% Ruetz, 25% stock

for anyone interested in the Ruetz mod, click here.

i also have a stock Rat 2 (i plan to try out some mods on this one eventually) and a Vintage Rat re-issue.

• Members
got it. thanks.

My pleasure. :)

As said earlier, it has many features that you may or may not need, as well as fairly hard to come by these days. That said, it really is an incredible pedal, and Dan-O is just as nice a guy as he is knowledgeable.

If you have the means, I'd recommend getting one. :thu:

• Members
My pleasure.
:)

As said earlier, it has many features that you may or may not need, as well as fairly hard to come by these days. That said, it really is an incredible pedal, and Dan-O is just as nice a guy as he is knowledgeable.

If you have the means, I'd recommend getting one.
:thu:

i'm actually in the market for a crunchy od/distortion (marshall-y), so i'd be interested for sure. it's sounds amazingly flexible, which may be good or bad for me ;), and $189 isn't terrible by any means.

i've just started using an original rat that i "inherited" from my friend's girlfriend and i haven't really had the time see what it was capable of.

but i have used a vintage rat, turbo rat and deuce tone rat all of which i'd recommend. but i was really into the deuce tone, simply because it was all in there :thu: .

Archived