OT: new comp has no CDrw drive, can I put my super old one in it without problems?

hangwire

• Members

My wife gota refurbished omputer from her lab to replace or seriously old Dell... but it does not have a Cdrw drive to burn disks...

Would anything conflict or otherwise be bad if I was to take the old old CDrw drive from the Dell and put it also in the new computer? There is a space under the Cd drive in the new computer.

Thanks.

• Members

but would a 1999 cdrw {censored} with this comp and the new cd drive in an uncompatable ways?

Nah. It might be slow since it's old, but it's gonna hook up to your power supply and the mobo via IDE cable. same thing as anything else, really. Just make sure you get the recent drivers for the CDRW if there are any.

• Members

It shouldn't {censored} with anything, but that doesn't mean it won't.

For the master/slave settings, look at the back of the drive. You should see a grouping of pins, usually six (in rows of two), one should have a small rubber jumper on it. Think of the master as primary, and the slave as secondary. If you're going to use an IDE cable that is already hooked to something, then one has to be the master, and the other has to be the slave. So if you have one IDE cable and a hard drive already hooked up to it, the hard drive will be the master and this cd-rw will be the slave. Make sense?

• Members

master & slave jumpers being ? ? ?

Just hook it up to the IDE channel that your HDD is NOT using. You'll be fine. But it will most likely be slower than cold molasses...Hit up NewEgg and get a brand new shiny one that will be way faster than your vintage '99er...for like 20something bucks.

• Members

What model is the Dell that you are pulling the CD-R out of? You can look up info on the computer, including the CD-R, from the service tag on the back of the Dell. That way you can decide if it's worth pulling it or just ordering a new one.

I agree with Teh Bacons on putting the drive on its own IDE bus. Hooking it inline with the hard drive is just asking for buffer under run and lots and lots of coasters. It also make it easier to configure, because if it's the lone device in the chain, there isn't anything to conflict. Further, up until very recently, optical drives (like CD and DVD) were running at a max of 33mhz throughput, so there isn't any gain by putting it on the same bus as the hard drive.

I usually set the my drive jumpers to cable select and let the computer do what makes it feel good. Most drives have some sort of legend on them, either a sticker or stamped in the metal of the drive housing, that shows you how to configure the jumper on your drive.

I'm all for repurposing computers and parts, so if you need more help, let me know.

• Members

i have yet to open up the new computer tower, but on the old cdrw drive [LG CED-8083B] there are :

C S M
S L A

and the vertical CS is jumpered... which would be slave? SL vertical i assume?

also, i rather not get a new burner if i can avoid it.... as this new computer was free and only to tide us over until November when we will get a macbook pro which we are saving for...

finally the old cdrw has a "tail" :D a wire that i think hooks up to the soundcard i assume? 4 pin female... the wre leaves the unit labeled as analog audio R G G L [right ground groung left?]
if i keep 2 cd drives which i think i want to do, [so i can rip cds faster than with the old cdrw] do i need to hook this old burnr tro the soundcard too? or, since it is for burning only, could i remove this cable?

• Members
Why would he want to do that? Unless it's like 4x or something, it probably wouldn't be worth it. If you're going to upgrade, you might as well get a dvd burner. I got mine for just under $50 new.

If it's from 99 it probably is a 4x. And you're right about the DVD burner...only a very good one can be had for well under 50 brand new.

That's probably your best bet, hangwire...burn everything under the sun, quickly for like 36 bucks shipped to you. :thu:

• Members
If it's from 99 it probably is a 4x. And you're right about the DVD burner...only a very good one can be had for well under 50 brand new.

That's probably your best bet, hangwire...burn everything under the sun, quickly for like 36 bucks shipped to you.
:thu:

give me a link and info... with the older burner on the old comp it took about 5-8 minutes to burn a CD... never was a issue time wise for me... i know that might sound outragous if the new ones burn a disk in 15 seconds :cool: burners are a part of computers I never really questioned or concern about...

• Members

do i need to hook this old burnr tro the soundcard too? or, since it is for burning only, could i remove this cable?

If you'll be hooking it into it's own ide channel, put the jumper on MA...cable select (CS) would probably be ok too, but while you have it out may as well put it on Master. And don't worry about that other little cable.

• Members
give me a link and info... with the older burner on the old comp it took about 5-8 minutes to burn a CD... never was a issue time wise for me... i know that might sound outragous if the new ones burn a disk in 15 seconds
:cool:
burners are a part of computers I never really questioned or concern about...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827131038

• Members

As I said before, I think that reusing older computer technology is a worthwhile goal -- for several reasons. It is a great way for frugal folks to get a functioning computer, you are helping reduce waste and keeping toxic chemicals from entering landfills, and it allows people to get an idea of what sort of voodoo occurs inside these magic boxes. So, I am certainly interested in getting your old CD-RW to work before breaking down and ordering a new one.

do i need to hook this old burnr tro the soundcard too? or, since it is for burning only, could i remove this cable?

The wire you're referring to is an analog sound cable that allows the computer to send the sound directly from an audio CD to the soundcard. It is a very old-school solution, and there isn't any need for the cable as all modern programs that handle audio (modern in this case meaning anything after 2000) process the sound through the IDE bus and eventually to your soundcard. You don't need that cable, but can keep it hooked up for nostalgia if you want.

Before you get started working on the inside of the computer, you should discharge yourself of any lingering static electricity. The easiest way is to touch the power supply.

You can hook up both optical (CD and CD-RW) drives on the same IDE bus. In your new tower, the CD will be on a separate bus from the hard drive. It will have a cable attached to it that has three connectors. One will be attached to the motherboard. One will be empty (if there is only one optical drive) and the last one at the end will have the CD drive. You will want to hook your drive up to the empty connector.

All the connectors should be keyed (meaning they will only insert one way into the drive). If not, keep track of how the cable was connected to the motherboard and the drives. Also, if you are removing the cable from the motherboard, make sure you remember which end of the cable connects to the motherboard.

When looking at the installed CD drive, it should already be set to CS (Cable Select). I recommend you leave it that way. Next, you can connect your CD-RW drive you are transplanting. Make sure it is still set to CS. Install, reconnect and tighten everything down.

Here is the beauty of Cable Select. When the computer starts, it will poll the devices to see what is there. When it sees there are new devices, it will try and figure out there status. Since there can only be two devices on an IDE bus, there are only two choices of status, Master and Slave. Cable Select makes it very simple on everyone, as whoever is at the end of the chain is the Master and whoever is in the second position is the Slave.

Hopefully this gets you on the right track. If not, post again.

• Members

theincredible...you made what I said very complicated with way too many words. PC work is really not as complicated as people like you make it...
:thu:

I don't think the PC is complicated, but it can be intimidating for folks who have never poked around inside one.

I am trying to make things clear for the OP. He seems very very sharp and quick on the pickup, but isn't very knowledgeable (at this time) about the inner workings of the PC. I think this was evident when terms such as IDE, Master and Slave were thrown around and he was unsure as to what they meant.

It has been my experience in helping people with computer problems (and I have helped literally thousands of people) that they prefer to have more information than not enough. My goal in posting the instructions was to give the OP a clear path to upgrading his machine. If he finds it too wordy, I will gladly break it into step-by-step instructions for him.

I think it is best for the OP to decide what works for him and if it doesn't, I am sure he will let us know.

Thank you for your input. I believe that we are both trying to work toward the same goal of helping the OP get his computer functioning as he would like it. I hope we can work together to get him to that place.

• Members
I don't think the PC is complicated, but it can be intimidating for folks who have never poked around inside one.

I am trying to make things clear for the OP. He seems very very sharp and quick on the pickup, but isn't very knowledgeable (at this time) about the inner workings of the PC. I think this was evident when terms such as IDE, Master and Slave were thrown around and he was unsure as to what they meant.

It has been my experience in helping people with computer problems (and I have helped literally thousands of people) that they prefer to have more information than not enough. My goal in posting the instructions was to give the OP a clear path to upgrading his machine. If he finds it too wordy, I will gladly break it into step-by-step instructions for him.

I think it is best for the OP to decide what works for him and if it doesn't, I am sure he will let us know.

Thank you for your input. I believe that we are both trying to work toward the same goal of helping the OP get his computer functioning as he would like it. I hope we can work together to get him to that place.

Don't take it the wrong way...I wasn't poking at you...just a joke :thu::D

• Members
give me a link and info... with the older burner on the old comp it took about 5-8 minutes to burn a CD... never was a issue time wise for me... i know that might sound outragous if the new ones burn a disk in 15 seconds
:cool:
burners are a part of computers I never really questioned or concern about...

This is basically why I told you not to upgrade. The speed difference gets smaller and smaller, and there's really no reason to get a 48x burner or whatever just so you can burn a cd a little faster. I suspect you're not filling them to capacity, but you probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference unless you really need to burn a cd in like 2 to 4 minutes.

• Members
I don't remember when I got my 8x burner, but I thought it was in the 90s. Who really knows, though. I don't usually keep track of when I get technology really.

And yeah, you probably won't find many dvd burners under $50 new, but they're out there. I know because I got one. So far, I'm really happy with the results.

This is basically why I told you not to upgrade. The speed difference gets smaller and smaller, and there's really no reason to get a 48x burner or whatever just so you can burn a cd a little faster. I suspect you're not filling them to capacity, but you probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference unless you really need to burn a cd in like 2 to 4 minutes.

One reason I recommend upgrading is because there is nothing you won't be able to burn...quickly...for 36 bucks shipped.

Another is because your vintage 99er will probably give you more hassle than comfort...for one, you'll be making coasters left and right. For 36 dollars you would be HARD PRESSED and have to try really hard to get it to burn a bad disc. :thu:

Archived