Poll: Yamaha P70 vs Novation Remote 61 SL

• Members

I will be traveling to the UK sometime next year to make an album. I will need to bring with me a high quality controller keyboard. The parts I will be recording there will all be piano (most likely using Pianoteq 2 or Akoustik Piano), but back at home I will be adding other parts like emulated strings, horn, etc. This will strictly be a MIDI output studio instrument at home and abroad, so the lack of 1/4 output jacks on the P70 is not an issue. I do have an excellent CME UF5 already, which is great for synth/emulated parts but is of course only 4 octaves, not good enough for this recording. Both the P70 and 61 SL are lightweight enough to travel with (that's why I can't consider a UF7 or 8, too heavy).

Obviously the P70 has 88 keys and the best hammer action around, but it's not exactly a great controller like the Novation, and it would be nice to control Logic with the latter. The Novation does have (along with CME) the best synth action around.

They cost the same. I can pick up either one as a floor model/blemished item for around half a grand.

Which would you choose?

• Members

BTW, did you see the news item where an $88,000 grand piano was dropped by movers over in Britian? OOPs!!!

Who gets sued for that one? I think dropped is an understatement. They just had a bomb blow up in their face.

This pick of the P70 or SL is quite a wierd decision. However I do understand because I do this kind of stuff all the time ;) with totally unrelated gear. It basically comes down to what I would like to try out at that given moment.

Like right now, I'm deciding on a new sampler or new preamp :p

Anyways, I enjoy my SL25. I think it's a sweet little controller. To me, it makes any Mackie DAW control surface redundant because this has 8 sliders with different banks. Then you throw in the 8 endless encoders, 8 more knobs, 8 velocity pads, kaoss type pad, pitch/mod stick and don't forget the 2 main selling points: the nice LCDs displaying everything and the Automap.

BTW, Automap now reads. Not books, but any knob you turn on your hardware/software synth (or whatever) will be assigned to knob/pad/button/slider that you move next. That was the one thing that Behringer had over the SL. Now the great guys at Novation released this feature recently.

What can I say, Novation rocks :thu:

But if you want a piano, get a dang piano. :lol:

• Members

But if you want a piano, get a dang piano.
:lol:

Well, there's a fair chance a real piano will be used on this project anyway, if the money is there. Otherwise, it'll be lil ole me. What I really want is an 88 (or 76 with A at the bottom) key Remote SL.

Over the long run I think I will be happier with the Remote. There's just no hammer action like a real piano anyway. Whereas excellent synth action is a glory unto itself. :)

• Members

Mssr. Stikygum, sir. A 'curiosity' question. My x-station, to my mind, has two avoidable flaws and I wonder if the SL is the same:

1) the xy pad moves in increments of 5 MIDI values or so rather than 1, which I'd prefer

2) it treats the sustain as on/off 0/128 even when a continuous controller (i.e. my fancy damper pedal) is attached.

Any different on the SL?

• Members

Mssr. Stikygum, sir. A 'curiosity' question. My x-station, to my mind, has two avoidable flaws and I wonder if the SL is the same:

1) the xy pad moves in increments of 5 MIDI values or so rather than 1, which I'd prefer

2) it treats the sustain as on/off 0/128 even when a continuous controller (i.e. my fancy damper pedal) is attached.

Any different on the SL?

A bump for Doug. :)

• Members

Any different on the SL?

What do you mean 5 midi values (5 seperate values of a parameter?). For cutoff, are you saying that it will jump from 0 to 25 to 50 to 75 to 100 to 127? The movement is pretty smooth on the SL. I'll check it tonight to make sure there is no jumping, but I haven't noticed any.

The Sustain ? I'm uncertain about and have no pedal to test it with. Have any idea on how to test it?

• Members

What do you mean 5 midi values (5 seperate values of a parameter?). For cutoff, are you saying that it will jump from 0 to 25 to 50 to 75 to 100 to 127? The movement is pretty smooth on the SL. I'll check it tonight to make sure there is no jumping, but I haven't noticed any.

When you move your finger around the xy pad, the x and y CC values change in increments of 5 or 6 rather than 1

so rather than the x value going 91,92,93,94,95,96,97..110 it goes 91,95,102,108.

This is no great deal if you're using it to quickly set a value, but if you want to 'play' it, it makes everything bumpier than it has to be.

To test the sustain pedal, you could plug in an expression pedal--that's what I did. It should give a full range of values but on the x-station it gives 0 and 127. I don't even know if it's a TS or TRS jack on the x-station.

• Members

I just checked - the X and Y pad increments in single steps.

Also, it appears that the sustain pedal can be programmed as on/off, continuous, momentary, toggle, etc. I don't haver an expression pedal to test this, but the SL editor software does allow for this, so - ?

• Members

That will be very sweet. You will find Pianoteq frustrating to map MIDI to unless Logic can bypass its interface. But it's worth it--an absolute gas to play with PT's controls on the board.

I mapped Mod to unison width (honky tonk) and xy to impedance and Q factor (a sort of mix of sustain/muting) and the faders to the eight overtones. Fun fun fun.

Archived