$200 lead tone and modern crunch sugg.

Alex 4.0

• Members

I was wondering if I can buy a lead tone for 200 or less. I have a traynor ycv80 and it fits the classic rock bill nicely. I want something that can get be heavy....in a more modern way....and have that sweet singing lead (you know...like in "for the love of god").

What are some good options for a sweet singing lead and heavy modern crunch?

more emphasis on the lead....

Jekyll and Hyde ?

Carl Martin Plexitone ?

SCOD ?

Plexidrive ?

Top Fuel ?

a combo of a couple of other pedals?

btw- I know it will be impossible to sound like vai with a traynor, the point is a I want a more modern sound using a pedal cuz I actually really like my amp.

• Members

SCOD and Top Fuel are the 2 I'm familiar with. If you only want leads I'd say Top Fuel... For more flexibility I'd definitely go with the SCOD. But I haven't played your Traynor, so who knows how they sound through that amp.

• Members

Personally, I like to boost, so I'd suggest an Xotic RC Booster, but definately look into the MI Aucio's Blue Boy Deluxe as well. I think the BBD would be up your alley.

I don't think that has enough gain for the type of modern crunch I am looking for..... it is a nice sounding pedal, but I need more growl:evil:

• Members

I don't think that has enough gain for the type of modern crunch I am looking for..... it is a nice sounding pedal, but I need more growl:evil:

Well will you be cranking your amp and then using the pedal to get you to a modern tone? Or do you want to go from clean to modern?

• Members

Well will you be cranking your amp and then using the pedal to get you to a modern tone? Or do you want to go from clean to modern?

In a perfect world I would be able to go from clean to modern. BUT, that isn't entirely necessary. I have an MXR distortion III that I can use to go from clean to a really good classic rock sound. Then I could put ("fill in the blank" pedal) on my dirty channel to push it over the top.

• Members

The Top Fuel is great for leads but if you're using single coils (like me) it kind of lacks in the rhythm department. Not a bad sound, but not a lot of low end. I don't know how it works with humbuckers. I haven't tried it with my LP copy yet.

I'm going to suggest the Tube Zone. It can do what you're wanting. I love mine. :wave:

• Members

I'm test driving a Barber Direct Drive at the moment and I must say: it excels at what you're looking for, smooth lead tones, but still good foor rhythm crunch. Plenty of volume on tap, I hardly go above 9 o'clock.
At $119, it's a steal.

• Members

I'm test driving a Barber Direct Drive at the moment and I must say: it excels at what you're looking for, smooth lead tones, but still good foor rhythm crunch. Plenty of volume on tap, I hardly go above 9 o'clock.

At $119, it's a steal.

that is a good deal too. you have any idea where I could find some sound clips by any chance? edit: found some but it must be an older model....sounds nice.

Archived