Power Trio's Enter Here!

• Members

Anyone else here play in a 3 piece band? Show some love for the "power trio" if you do. Post some rig shots and a myspace site if you have them. I'm always curious as to what people are playing in a three piece to get their sound.

I have played in a 3 piece for almost the whole time I have played guitar (~13 years) and I don't think I could do it any other way. I have jammed/sat in with bands that have another guitarist and I can see it's advantages but it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to being the only guitarist or maybe its because I like doing things my way!

It seems that a lot of people like seeing power trios (especially older) because we constantly get praised for sticking to the classic formula. After a night of seeing 2-guitarist bands and hearing a wall of distortion I think sometimes the soundman and promoters are happy to see a 3 piece too.:cool:

Here is what I typically play, Les Paul-->pedalboard--->Splawn Pro Mod-->Bogner 4x12 w/ V30's. We are a hard rock/progressive band (link in sig):

img0329qd4.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:wave:

It can be tough being a guitar player in a power trio. No other guitarist to hide behind when you screw up. I like the challenge.
:cool:

Yep, but it makes you a better player. There are pros and cons to it but I like not having to compete for volume/eq and the freedom to play what you want.

• Members

Trying to raise your post count?
:confused:

narr dude two dollar beanie is my three piece band i think were on myspace

the bassplayer looks after all that stuff

just thort i would throw a hint

we are the beanie mate

we rock

i have some pics on my phone i will post if this thread is around in an hour or so

• Members

Currently working on putting together a 3 piece or 2 piece haven't decided yet.

My rig is

Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, Gibson LP DC Faded, Epiphone g400 custom.

Amp: Traynor YCV80 2x12

FX: Planet Waves Tuner

DigiDelay

Boss Super Chorus

Big Muff Pi

Voodoo Labs Super Fuzz

MXR Distortion+

EHX Octave Multiplexer

MXR Phase 90

Vox Clyde McCoy

Ernie Ball Vol. Pedal JR.

Coming Soon (maybe, haven't decided which ones I'm getting yet):

Deluxe Electric Mistress

Dano Chicken Salad

Dano Tuna Melt

MXR Blue Box

Some type of tubescreamer or overdrive most likely sd-1 or bad monkey.

• Members

narr dude two dollar beanie is my three piece band i think were on myspace

the bassplayer looks after all that stuff

just thort i would throw a hint

we are the beanie mate

we rock

i have some pics on my phone i will post if this thread is around in an hour or so

haha right on. send a friend request our way so I can check out your band. :thu:

• Members

I'm the guitar player for the trio "ALLOY". Never heard of us? I don't blame you. We're too busy with our jobs and family to play out but when we get together - we rock!
:D

We're kind of in the same boat. It's all for fun and we play out maybe once a month if we're lucky. Of course the summer is always more active. Is that a Jaguar? :wave:

• Members

Currently working on putting together a 3 piece or 2 piece haven't decided yet.

My rig is

Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, Gibson LP DC Faded, Epiphone g400 custom.

Amp: Traynor YCV80 2x12

FX: Planet Waves Tuner

DigiDelay

Boss Super Chorus

Big Muff Pi

Voodoo Labs Super Fuzz

MXR Distortion+

EHX Octave Multiplexer

MXR Phase 90

Vox Clyde McCoy

Ernie Ball Vol. Pedal JR.

Coming Soon (maybe, haven't decided which ones I'm getting yet):

Deluxe Electric Mistress

Dano Chicken Salad

Dano Tuna Melt

MXR Blue Box

Some type of tubescreamer or overdrive most likely sd-1 or bad monkey.

Well you know my vote. :thu: I see you have mostly non-boutique pedals. Beware of this place, it will clean you out.

• Members

Well you know my vote.
:thu:
I see you have mostly non-boutique pedals. Beware of this place, it will clean you out.

Hah, I'd definitely say so if I could afford them lol. OR if I could muster the strength to fork out 200 bucks for a distortion pedal.

• Members

Hah, I'd definitely say so if I could afford them lol. OR if I could muster the strength to fork out 200 bucks for a distortion pedal.

Yeah, I'm not all crazy about having boutique stuff. If it gets the sound I want then I'm good. I have trouble forking out $200 for a pedal too. The POG was the only one I did because it sounded so damn good.

• Members

We're kind of in the same boat. It's all for fun and we play out maybe once a month if we're lucky. Of course the summer is always more active. Is that a Jaguar?
:wave:

Yes indeed, an '05 Jaguar HH. I also play a '96 U.S. Lone Star Strat (HSS).

• Members

3rd Curve. No website yet. I has a line 6 Axsys 212 though I haven't used it live. Currently running a damage control/solid metal, digitech expression factory, and boss rc20-XL straight to the PA. Just made our first visit to St. Louis on Saturday. Rock!

• Members

Nice rig I too have a super fuzz got it last week and I really dig it so far.

I just ordered a bad monkey, dano chicken salad, and a deluxe electric mistress.

The band I'm trying to assemble shall play psychedellic fuzz rock a mixture of zeppelin, cream, and pink floyd. With influences from newer bands like Dead Meadow and Wolfmother.

• Members

Nice rig I too have a super fuzz got it last week and I really dig it so far.

I just ordered a bad monkey, dano chicken salad, and a deluxe electric mistress.

The band I'm trying to assemble shall play psychedellic fuzz rock a mixture of zeppelin, cream, and pink floyd. With influences from newer bands like Dead Meadow and Wolfmother.

Kewl! The Super Fuzz is a great pedal. I use it as a 2nd gain stage after my overdrive, when I solo. Alone it's a so so pedal. Goodluck with your project.:)

Archived