Anyone else do the Blues Driver "H2O" mod?! (monte allums content)

tenoken

• Members

W@W!

I am very impressed with this mod. It is CRYSTAL CLEAR transparent! But when you turn the gain up, it has a very smooth, sustaining drive I would bet could easily rival many of the boutique pedals out there. To me, it mimics a tube amp quite well in terms of a real overdriven amp sound.

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#BD2H2O

Well worth the money. And he ships FAST!

Way to go Monte. :thu:

• Members

I modded mine about a week ago, and you're right -- the difference is remarkable.

I would really recommend this mod. It's definitely worth the $20 and a couple hours of time.

How easy is it to do yourself? Tri99er has this mod, and also concurs it is well worth. I think I will give it a shot, because this pedal is lacking something without it.

• Members

I modded mine about a week ago, and you're right -- the difference is remarkable.

I would really recommend this mod. It's definitely worth the $20 and a couple hours of time.

Indeed! These kits are fun weekend projects.

p.s. Last Friday I picked up a Boss DS-1 used for $20, and I'll be doing the Tri-Gain Rectifier mod on that soon enough!

:cool:

• Members

How easy is it to do yourself? Tri99er has this mod, and also concurs it is well worth. I think I will give it a shot, because this pedal is lacking something without it.

Have you ever modded anything like a guitar pedal? Do you have experience with a soldering iron, desoldering braid and working in tight areas?

If you answered yes to these questions, then it's fairly easy. It only takes about an hour or so.

• Members

The H2O mod is pretty easy to do, because you're only replacing capacitors and diodes. Since caps and diodes only have two legs, they're pretty easy to desolder and remove. He includes a desoldering braid to help with this. And even if you do a crapping job desoldering them (i.e., you've still got some solder in the holes on the PCB after they've been removed), it's fairly easy to get the replacement components in. Just make sure you've got a soldering iron with a fine tip.

I tried to do the Dynacomp mod at the same time. Again, replacing the caps and diodes was easy. However, this mod is much more difficult because you have to replace transistors (which have three legs) and an IC (which has eight legs). These are much more difficult to desolder and remove, and the new components won't go in easy (or at all) unless you've got all the old solder removed.

I've got a fair amount of soldering experience, and I found the MXR kit pretty hard. Replacing the caps and diodes was easy. The transistors were much harder. I finally swapped them, but it took me quite while and was a struggle. After more effort I just gave up trying to get the IC out. I haven't read that others have encountered the same difficulty with this mod as I did, so maybe it was just me. In the end though, there was still a pretty good improvement in the pedal with changing the diodes, caps and transistors but not the IC.

Back to your question, though ... the H2O mod is easy. Give it a try (and make sure you've got a soldering iron with a fine point).

• Members

i never had a bd-2

i did the CS-3 opto mod.. incredible. from crap to crisp. there was nothing that pedal was good for...and now....wow!

that got me to get the MT-2 tri gain sustainic. same thing. that pedal sat and now it has a great clean boost, and heavy harmonic distortion. multiple good settings for different drive... awesome monte .. good job!

i also change my LED colors. easy as cake...mods. lights . switches..

• Members

the H2O mod is a very simple mod, that is if you have soldering/de-soldering practice, kit comes with everything you need, and one hell of an easy diagram, a giant blow up of the pedal guts, I would say the hardest part was pulling the chip board out of the pedal.

• Members

I did this mod, but I think something came out wrong.. It sounds great but it is extremly bass heavy. I need to turn the tone all the way up, and keep the level down to around 10 o clock, or else it REALLY boosts my volume.

Does this sound characteristically like the H20 mod? or is something wrong?

• Members

I did this mod, but I think something came out wrong.. It sounds great but it is extremly bass heavy. I need to turn the tone all the way up, and keep the level down to around 10 o clock, or else it REALLY boosts my volume.

Something is definitely wrong I'm afraid. You should go back over it and check each component that you swapped out. MAYBE (taking a wild stab here) you installed one of the yellow capacitors in the wrong place near the volume pot, instead of the tone pot. :confused:

I know it's frustrating but please do yourself a favor and go back over it. It's well worth fixing.

• Members

Sounds like something is wrong. Mine is not bass heavy at all and the volume level works fine.

• Members

i bought this pedal off someone with this mod. i never had one stock but i think i love it. it's not too harsh or high and i'm playing a tele.

hey anyone: i have a ds-1 lying around and i'm not AT ALL crazy about it. the crunch for me is way too nasty/snarly/metal for what i need it for. are the mods going to get me someplace totally different or do you have to enjoy the underlying sound to even dig this pedal?

• Members

hey anyone: i have a ds-1 lying around and i'm not AT ALL crazy about it. the crunch for me is way too nasty/snarly/metal for what i need it for. are the mods going to get me someplace totally different or do you have to enjoy the underlying sound to even dig this pedal?

It's a completely different pedal after the tri-gain mod. It's a little crunchier than my tubescreamer, approacting marshall-style overdrive. It doesn't get nearly as heavy as the Metal Zone, for example, with the distortion cranked it is adequate for Nirvana style distortion (on one of the clipping settings). With clipping turned off (switch in center) and the dist rolled down, it does a great overdrive -- you get a ton of control with the tone pot and your guitar's volume pot. On any setting, it cleans up nicely with guitar volume rolled back. The mp3 samples on Monte's site are pretty close to accurate, although they've been processed a bit.

• Members

i never had a bd-2

i did the CS-3 opto mod.. incredible. from crap to crisp. there was nothing that pedal was good for...and now....wow!

that got me to get the MT-2 tri gain sustainic. same thing. that pedal sat and now it has a great clean boost, and heavy harmonic distortion. multiple good settings for different drive... awesome monte .. good job!

i also change my LED colors. easy as cake...mods. lights . switches..

+1 on the CS-3 mod, brilliant sounding pedal now.

• Members

+100

It's a completely different pedal after the tri-gain mod. It's a little crunchier than my tubescreamer, approacting marshall-style overdrive. It doesn't get nearly as heavy as the Metal Zone, for example, with the distortion cranked it is adequate for Nirvana style distortion (on one of the clipping settings). With clipping turned off (switch in center) and the dist rolled down, it does a great overdrive -- you get a ton of control with the tone pot and your guitar's volume pot. On any setting, it cleans up nicely with guitar volume rolled back. The mp3 samples on Monte's site are pretty close to accurate, although they've been processed a bit.

Well, you just sold me on this 100%. I just ordered the kit!! I think I'm getting addicted to this stuff. :D

• Members

Hi slash81291, let's see if we can figure this one out. Open the pedal up and make sure the two red caps I supplied have 103 on them. I could have mistakenly given you the wrong caps. Let me know. Also make sure the tone knob cap is installed correctly. Remelt the solder. Could have a bad solder joint.

Thanx,

• Members

Yes the two caps say 103 on them, and I believe the cap on the tone knob is correct.

I would go back over the solder joints and remelt them. Could be a bad joint. Hard to say. These issues can be maddening. If you'd like we can look at it for you. Let us know.

Thanx,

• Members

Have you ever modded anything like a guitar pedal? Do you have experience with a soldering iron, desoldering braid and working in tight areas?

If you answered yes to these questions, then it's fairly easy. It only takes about an hour or so.

I answered no to all of these questions. I want to do this mod, and probably will do the DS-1 too. Likely will have my tech do it.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

i'm not sure how savvy you all are with the Blues Driver electrical layout (probably moreso than I haha) but here's a question I have.

so I'm understanding that in the stock BD-2 pedal there are 4 1SS133 diodes in D7 D8 D9 and D10, and this is the clipping section. correct?

ok, then there are 4 other 1SS133 diodes in D1 D3 D5 D6. so what are these 4 used for?

geeky question, I know, but I am very curious about this. i'm getting into modding and I am trying to find out what everything does. any help you can offer is appreciated!

Archived