Analog Additive

• Members

I've been doing a lot of DSP work lately, so some time with analog synths was warrented. :D

A clip of this morning's analog additive synthesis:

http://homepage.mac.com/nicksdsu/music/add.mp3

Its monophonic only. The synth interface is terrible so it would take a couple hours to add more harmonics, which is why it has a dark sound right now. It also is really difficult to get "musical" sounds out of, explaining the nonsense drones demo. There's a little digital delay mixed in.

:freak:

• Members

Much better. Some nice electric interaction there about 1/3 of the way thru.

Can you describe what you're doing? A held fundamental note, with a few harmonics brought in above it maybe.

Thanks. :D

I still think the original is cool. :p

Sorry let's see.

There are 8 harmonics [including the fundamental]. They are all present throughout the recording scaled by 1/2 each octave. So approximately:

1 @ 100%

2 @ 50%

3 @ 25%

4 @ 12%

5 @ 6%

6 @ 3%

7 @ 2%

8 @ 1%

The notes are played from a low C, going an octave up each time. There are no changes made in the patch while playing.

I will describe in more detail what equipment I'm using after I investigate some more. :freak:

• Members

Are you using sine waves? I've always kinda wondered what those full-blown analog additive synths sound like. Pretty rare and expensive though.

Analog sines have a bit of grunge to them tho, so you not working with something as clean as the K5M.

I took a peek at a single cycle of a fundamental sine from my K5M when I had it and even that had a bit of grunge at the bottom of the cycle.

If you want to make it sound a bit more 'additive', try using a lower volume fundamental. Boosting some of the stuff further up will give it a more unique, identifiable sound.

I listened to the first clip again (had to adjust my ears), and it sounds a little like an organ run thru a fuzz box with maybe a little distortion added in.

• Members

Yes, yes, additive sine waves. Something like Fourier synthesis I guess [ala K5/K5000 which I never got into].

Interesting idea to do some distortion analysis on various sine waves. :thu:

I am also curious if my sines are in phase and if that matters at all. I think mine are all out of phase and there's no way to correct it. :(

• Members

I listened to the first clip again (had to adjust my ears), and it sounds a little like an organ run thru a fuzz box with maybe a little distortion added in.

I don't know about distortion, but to me it sounds so digital, bell-like almost Yamaha DXish.

I did screw up something in the patch, but I think it turned out cool. However, if you wouldn't have covered your ears in pain I wouldn't have gone back and figured out why it was "weird". ;)

Archived