Just bought a Maxon DS-830...

• Members

I got the "Distortion Master" off the bay for $110 shipped. I read a couple reviews, heard a couple clips and decided to give it a shot. I have a couple distortion pedals but wasn't completely thrilled with their tone for our songs. I have a Boss DS-1, Russian Big Muff, Boss BD-2 and a Danelectro Fab Metal (gift from a friend). I love the Blues Driver for lead parts, but the DS-1 sounds thin/tinny. The Big Muff, which still has its place in some songs, is too boomy and the knobs do little to change the tone. The DS-830 is hands down the best distortion pedal I've owned. The distortion is full and balanced and can go from slight overdrive to complete mayhem. I highly recommend this pedal to anybody looking for a solid distortion pedal.

83be_1.JPG

• Members

Glad to hear of more positive experience with Maxon's Vintage Series. I have the OD820 and love it. I'm hoping their new smaller versions of this series are just as good, if not better.

I read the gear in your sig, how do you like your Super Reverb? I just traded a DRRI for a Pro Reverb a few months back and I love it, although I still haven't figured out the usefullness of its effects loop yet.

• Members

The DS-830 is a sleeper. Not much talk about it, but really a great distortion pedal. The separate bass and treble tone controls is what really gives you control of the sound of this pedal.

Totally agree with you about the tone controls. I was looking for a distortion pedal with more EQ options. I can finally stop worrying about finding "the" distortion and start looking for delay and octave pedals.

• Members

I read the gear in your sig, how do you like your Super Reverb? I just traded a DRRI for a Pro Reverb a few months back and I love it, although I still haven't figured out the usefullness of its effects loop yet.

I actually bought it on a whim for my most recent band, never actually playing one. After a retube, and a few pedals, the amp really covered my dream overdriven, jangly tone. It is a little heavy, but it packs a punch. I usually set the volume on 3.5 for a good club volume. My only complaint is going below 3 since the tube tone just kind of dwindles.

What do you think of the DRRI vs. Pro Reverb?

• Members

What do you think of the DRRI vs. Pro Reverb?

First, the headroom is obviously a lot greater with the Pro since it's 50 watts vs. the DRRI's 22. I never use the amp's distortion, the effects loop doesn't appear to be that useful. The tone of the amp is excellent, never had the volume above 6 while gigging. The cleans are magical, typical Fender. It's also powering an Avatar 2x12" cab which also sounds great. I loved my DRRI, but it was a no brainer as a straight up trade. The only negative I can think of is that it's heavy as a small car, but at least it's solid and comes with snap-in casters.

• Members

I have had 3 0r 4 of those DS-830's/ Not a bad distortion pedal by any means. But it does not like to be pushed. Has tons of bass. Also found it has a hard time being heard in the mix of a live situation. That being said I know where I can get one today. perhaps I'll pick another one up!!

Archived