Wireless systems

junior4

• Members

I am looking for a wireless system for my guitar to amp. I was wondering what good ones are out there. I am willing to pay top dollar for one. Also if anybody has one how do you like it? Does it lose tone or sound different? Any information would be great...Thanks guys

• Members

I use the AKG WMS40 guitar bug. The one with the dual antenna. It's about $250 and sounds like you're plugged in. Never had a drop-out and the transmitter uses just 1 AAA battery.

I have the Samson Airline which is the same type of unit with a guitar "bug". I think it's absolutely great! No strap packs, just need the 1 AAA battery, and the tone loss is very minimal, if any. No drop-outs, and I got the version where receiver just plugs into the pedalboard as the first pedal in the chain and powers up that way! Perfect!

• Members

if you want to pay top dollar, get a Shure UHF system.

Basically, whatever you get, make sure it runs on UHF radio not VHF like the cheap ones do. VHF picks up interference from loads of stuff, UHF is a lot "cleaner" and works over a longer range without screwing up.

I tend to prefer strap-packs for security, as the guitar bug can drop out if your jack is loose or you swing the guitar hard accidentally.

Getting a system that supports multiple channels or frequencies is a must if the rest of your band wants to use wireless. I suggest buying the same type of wireless for everyone in the band, to get rid of the chance for interference.

Shure and Audio-Technica come to mind as people who make top-of-the-line wireless systems, whether you want rackmount or smaller (both make 1/3 rack units that could be fit onto a pedalboard or under one with some inventive velcro work.

• Members

I use a Shure PG series UHF wireless and its great. The sound quality is excellent but you will notice a few things. Minor gain loss and a bit of compression as well as an overall clean-up job on your sound. The tone will sound sort of produced since most units have some noise reduction. For a performance, these are all good things. Youll just have to come to terms with the reality that "perfect tone" neither exists nor matters when youre playing in a different venue every night.

Archived