Need help: boss dd-20 or line 6 dl4? just kidding but do need advice

jhr1948

• Members

tolling bells & tenoken

you say the Nova Delay is a 2 step process, does that involve me getting down and adjust the settings manually? probably the most important feature i'm looking for is beeing able to dial in w/foot, quickly and easily. it looked like the dl4 and dd-20 both could do that, but i definately have been leaning towards the boss whille still being open to other suggestions also.

btw, looping is not a feature i really need at this point

2 steps meaning that you have to click one footswitch, then the other. Not a HUGE obstacle or anything, but it seems to require jumping out of one default mode on the Nova and then cycling through presets. On the DD-20, you simply tap the right pedal to cycle through.

At this point, I would highly recommend trying some of these out. We can discuss these delay pedals to death but you really ought to try them first hand to see if they work out for you. I personally tried a friend's Line 6 DL-4 and did not like it for what I do. For me, the DD-20 was love at first repeat.

Does anyone you know own any of these pedals? If not, maybe visit a local store. Or if that's not convenient, then buy from a company like Musician's Friend, which has a 30 or 45 day "trial" period. If you don't like it, then send it back for a refund.

• Members

tolling bells & tenoken

you say the Nova Delay is a 2 step process, does that involve me getting down and adjust the settings manually? probably the most important feature i'm looking for is beeing able to dial in w/foot, quickly and easily. it looked like the dl4 and dd-20 both could do that, but i definately have been leaning towards the boss whille still being open to other suggestions also.

btw, looping is not a feature i really need at this point

No bending down to change patches, done via the normal stomp switches

• Members

2 steps meaning that you have to click one footswitch, then the other. Not a HUGE obstacle or anything, but it seems to require jumping out of one default mode on the Nova and then cycling through presets. On the DD-20, you simply tap the right pedal to cycle through.

At this point, I would highly recommend trying some of these out. We can discuss these delay pedals to death but you really ought to try them first hand to see if they work out for you. I personally tried a friend's Line 6 DL-4 and did not like it for what I do. For me, the DD-20 was love at first repeat.

Does anyone you know own any of these pedals? If not, maybe visit a local store. Or if that's not convenient, then buy from a company like Musician's Friend, which has a 30 or 45 day "trial" period. If you don't like it, then send it back for a refund.

Sounds more like you just want to dislike the Nova for some reason. Truth is it's an incredible delay and the sound quality alone is worth getting it over either the dd-20 or dl4.

There are a few different ways to switch presets, by the way. And you can limit the amount it cycles through to whatever amount you want (to make switching faster if you're using less than the 9 presets).

• Members

i'm leaning towards the boss: cheaper and well built.

most importantly, here's what i need it for. when i play live some songs need a rockabilly slapback sound and other songs would need me to use the tap tempo for reggae/dub feel. i assume i can achieve both sounds on both pedals, but can i do both these sounds live? (
important note: without having to get down and adjust knobs
)

i know they both have a memory function and i've tried to read up on both. maybe its the wording, but i haven't found an answer to my question.

thanks

Tap tempo is a bitch on the DD20 unless you get a Boss FS5U or something similar as an external tap tempo switch. I would do that and go with the DD20 for your needs. I love them both for their own reasons but in your case, a DD20 with external tap tempo would be ideal.

DL4 has 3 memories, DD20 has 4 plus a default setting that is basically whatever you want it to be depending on where the knobs are set currently on your pedal.

• Members

Sounds more like you just want to dislike the Nova for some reason. Truth is it's an incredible delay and the sound quality alone is worth getting it over either the dd-20 or dl4.

There are a few different ways to switch presets, by the way. And you can limit the amount it cycles through to whatever amount you want (to make switching faster if you're using less than the 9 presets).

Nah, I have nothing against TC Electronics. I'm sure it sounds great in person. The clips I've heard online are great, but he seems to want to choose between a DD20 and the DL-4.

:poke:

• Members

just out of curiousity, can the dd20 achieve a reverb sound? i know i've read someone commenting that reverb is pretty much a delay, but its just extremely short delays. can you get close to a reverb sound on the dd20?

i am going to try a few pedals soon

Archived