Any of you guys ever considered selling the vintage?

• Members

To avoid repair bills, downtime while the boards are at the shop etc?

Yup. Got rid of my Jupiter 8, PPG Wave 2.2 and Chroma a few years ago for exactly that reason - I didn't want to be responsible for them in their geriatric years.

Still have my Mini, though... :thu:

I still say no two keyboards look cooler together than the Wave and the JP8.

Keys.jpg

dB

• Members

Scuse me while I pick up my chin and clean up the puddle that just formed on my keyboard... that is something else :)

As far as keeping what vintage I have, I think I have enough electronics chops to keep the old stuff going for quite a while... and they will, probably longer than my newer hardware.

• Members

there are some vintage synths that you'd be a fool to sell just because of fear of the long term. having to replace consumables such as capacitors and re-imaged EPROMs is no big thing (as long as people are keeping track of those ROM images.)

there are also "hot potato" synths that you should probably not consider owning in the first place.

i don't think whether it's old or not has anything to do with it. for example: i'm in love with my Eventide H3000 ... but it's got an encoder. if that thing goes i'm {censored}ed with a capital U. my Minimoog or Hammond on the other hand is going to be my trusty companion until i die of lung cancer, Alzheimer's complications, or a successful assassination. there is NOTHING (except that screwy {censored} in the exponential convertor) that can't be replaced if it fails. same for the Hammond.

this is one of the reasons i've sold alot of the gear i've owned: it didn't strike me as long-term relationship material.

now the topic of _what_ older synths are "in it till you quit it" is much more interesting than "hey can i replace my CS-80 with an Andromeda?" which the answer is "yes. you can also drive a 2005 Taurus LX instead of a 1974 Cortina GXL."

• Members

Scuse me while I pick up my chin and clean up the puddle that just formed on my keyboard... that is something else
:)

what...you never saw a tasmanian devil before?

:D

seriously, the old stuff used to really impress me...but then I owned some of it and went through repair shop hell. I gave up. for my purposes, modern instruments work better.

• Members

Havent had a board in the shop for repair since my first Memmoog in 1983 which Moog replaced 6 month later. I have occasionally sent one in for mods (Voyager, Wavestation, S1000). If I see a new one that's a must have. I buy it.

dB - like the new arrangement much better. Not a big fan of Jup 8 but love the PPG.:thu:

• Members

Hey STG:

First, love the new avatar.

there are also "hot potato" synths that you should probably not consider owning in the first place.

Which ones?

my Minimoog or Hammond on the other hand is going to be my trusty companion until i die of lung cancer...

From the looks of your avatar, that's going to be sooner than later. Ditch the cancer sticks, you're cool enough without them.

hey can i replace my CS-80 with an Andromeda?" which the answer is "yes. you can also drive a 2005 Taurus LX instead of a 1974 Cortina GXL

You're comparing Andy to a Ford Taurus, really? ;)

All submitted with much respect. :thu:

• Members

ppg, rev2, polaris, yamaha cs are usually reffered as "hot potatoes" , among others. im guilty of owning several of those.. but life is too short anyway to worry about things. i usem enjoy em, and will corss that bridge wheen i get there. but, some experience with fixing, known issues, some spare parts, new capacitors, good clean power in the studio, and taking good care of them in general will go a long way in preserving vintages.

i would perhaps replace some with newer designs, as i mentioned on the moog wishlist thread, for example, if guys like SE would move back to hardware envelopes, like sunsyn did. beside envelopes, new boards lack warmth and saturation i want - omega can get some of it with midiminify upgrade for discrete VCA, but costs close to 6K with that upgrade.. even with damn software envs. others i find pretty much plastic n thin.

my experience is, you cannot exactly replace anything, if we talk "hall of fame" type boards. you can only get a newer board that sounds more or less different..offers new things, and enjoy the sound for what it is, and not worry if it replaces something u had. (hence my interest in sunsyn). ok having a microwave instead of PPG, is one example, where i think its fairly good enough emulation, and dealing with (frequent) troubleshooting of original probably aint worth it, all things considered.

of all oldies i dealt with, im most confident in Jup8, its built like a fkin tank. its giving me no trouble. comparably all ob/sci boards i have are built poorly, and then add the dropping number of CEM and esp SSM supplies.. brrr... beside jup8, the OB-X, with most discrete parts available today, and given u replace capacitors n put new high-res spectrol trimmers, is a fairly good contender for survival. bottom line, i expect most problems with CS and rev2. so i got load of spare parts, voiceboards n SSMs.

John., look at it this way - one board that even touches the ballpark texture of Xpander and Matrix 12 may arguably be omega. minus the enormous depth of matrix mod. u can get FOUR xpanders for spare parts instead of it.

and, finally, i'm MOST concerned about the future of my Andromeda, far more than any of the vintages.. synths with lotta SMD, and displays are da real time bombs. and those cheap switches, there's 115 of them, impossible to clean, only possible to replace.. waaaaaa.

imho.

PS dave, i managed to fix the non working key on A6 - its fairly easy to clean keybed. similar in design to Roland JX .. but aftertouch is dead, keybed does it but dead on SMD board level. there we go..

• Members

That's kinda my feeling... I am no more scared of owning an old Arp synth than I am my 50 year old electric guitar or my 70 year old acoustic guitar or my old tube amps - all will be totally repairable for the foreseeable future. Equipment that has chips in it, though, and especially DSP based stuff that depends on chips and embedded software - there will come a point where the last of those are gone and replaced by something new. So, enjoy those Waldorf and Access synths while you can :D

• Members

I've considered getting the vintages listed below; are replacement parts hard to get for any of them?

---Korg MS-20

---ARP 2600

---Jupiter 8

---MemoryMoog

Can't comment on the others but I've been able to get most Memmog parts I need. I try to keep spares of everything. The CEMs are non-existant (although I do have a spare voice card) and some of the transistors are getting real hard if not impossible to find.

What is it with these part suppliers that want you to bid on the parts? Seems like that's the only game in town for many of these parts. Also the price for common ICs varies incredibly so shop around. I noticed that many part used in the memmoog are also used in ...old video/pinball machines.

Archived