wah inductor types

Walters9515

• Members

That's a difficult question.

Like your last one concerning transistors, this is very difficult to answer because among the different types, differences exist. In fact, there are people that swear there is no sonic difference at all.

I couldn't tell you the difference in sonic qualities with all of them. I would do a google search or look on Mr. Teese's website to get a good basis. I have a wah with both a Halo and Stack of dimes in it. The stack of dimes has a more vintage sound IMO but the Halo sounds great as well.

The newer Red and Yellow Fasel inductors I've heard are hit or miss. Some people like them, some people hate them. Most have reported liking one and hating another which is a testament to Dunlop's quality control these days. The TDK came after the SOD, IIRC, and was not preferred as much even though some consider it the standard.

I've read a fair amount on this and am too tired to dig all the stuff up... basically, its hard to compare the inductors themselves because no one has done a real side by side comparison it seems. The really valuable vintage inductors are already in pedals and I doubt you could get a collector or player to remove it for the sake of a taste test. All the comparisons I've seen are between different wah circuits altogether -- not necessarily just the inductor.

Archived