Last Minute Opinion

• Members

Well I am starting a new band, and I just want to be able to get some new sounds. It seems like whenever I buy new equipment (rather it be guitars, amps, pedals) it spurs some creativity.

I am also going to build a Strat for playing slide. It's going to be a little like Ry Cooders. With a gold foil in the neck and a slide pickup in the bridge. I am probably going to build it out of a 70's body and paint it surf green (Open E minor tuning).

Btw does anyone have any clips of the Pitch Pirate they can post?

• Members

Well I am starting a new band, and I just want to be able to get some new sounds. It seems like whenever I buy new equipment (rather it be guitars, amps, pedals) it spurs some creativity.

Ah gotcha. That makes sense, though I'd try before you buy for things like the Hoax, if it's possible.

• Members
I avoid digital flanging usually, with the exception of the Digitech Turbo Flange. The LF looks pretty sweet spec-wise. I just cant stand L6 gear or those space pedal enclosures.

I know what you mean re: digital and L6 enclosures, but the LF is quite impressive in its versatility. I'm just picky with my modulation. :idk:

• Members

I would try before I buy, but there aren't ANY music stores in Birmingham or the surrounding areas that carry good new equipment. Now if you want old Fenders/Gibsons or tube amps there are great stores. Thats why I ask so many questions on this forum. I never get a chance to try this stuff before I buy it. Usually I rely on reviews the sound clips on the internet and your opinions. Thanks Nitefly the Hoax was the one I was skeptical about. I have heard the same things your saying. So now I have to find a Tzf and a good phaser (6 stage is fine). My friend that makes the Sitori pedals told me he has finished his Through Zero Flanger design and he is going to get me one next month. Maybe I should just wait on him.

• Members

Skip the hoax and get something like the MXR or a Boss Hi Band Flange. The hoax has a terrible volume drop and a lot of hiss. It also looks more exciting than it really is.

Allow me to counter that opinion. The Flanger Hoax is one of the most genius analog boxes ever made: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044889&highlight=hoax

• Members

How is the Sub Decay Quasar? What do you recomend on the Phaser. That is more important to my sound than the Flanger. I just thought I might be able to coax some new modulation sounds with the Hoax that a normal phaser/flanger couldn't do.

I've heard great things about the Quasar. SpectralJulian also made some nice clips of the newer EHX Polyphase model, which has a ton of options as well as sounds really cool.

• Members

If you are into tweaking and twiddling, go on with your bad self.

However, the Hoax is one of the most counter intuitive pedals I have ever played. I had an early version. so I will skip my noise and volume problems, but getting back to the same sound twice is still gonna be a challenge.

I am in the Cusack Tap-a-Whirl camp when it comes to tap tempo, multiple pattern tremolo pedals. It's just built better.

The Pitch Pirate, like most Mid-Fi pedals, is a noise machine that doesn;t appeal to me, but that's just me.

I think the new SMM with Hazarai will be a classic. i am digging mine.

• Members
If you are into tweaking and twiddling, go on with your bad self... However, the Hoax is one of the most counter intuitive pedals I have ever played.

That is true, the Hoax is definitely for tweakers and twiddlers (:wave:). But now that I've written down all of my settings, it doesn't take me long at all to recall them. I'm getting to the point where I've just about memorized the settings that I recall most often, like the chorus, the phaser, the wah, and the tremelo.

Archived