EHX holy grail noisy?

joelbah

• Members

I was really considering buying this pedal and then I read the HC user reviews. About half the people said it was really quiet and about half said it was noisy as hell! Now, I don't know what to think. what could be the cause of this discrepancy?

I play an Orange Rocker 30 and so far my rig is very quiet except for my Boss GE-7, which is just still barely noticably noisy.

Should I avoid this pedal?

• Members

From the soundclips and videos I've heard of the Holy Grail, I wouldn't care if it was extremely noisy - it's a great sounding reverb.

However, I haven't heard much about it being particularly noisy...I won't have one for a while, so I can't really say "Yes, it will be noisy," or "No, it won't be noisy."

Why not go try one out?

• Members

I tried one out at GC, and at first it was very noisy. Since it was brand new in the box, it didn't seem right at all. So we tried a DIFFERENT power supply and it was much quieter. I wonder if this is the reason for so many differing opinions.

• Members

Same issue here as with others. It was making this horrible high pitched digital squeal while I had it on the godlyke daisy-chain. I switched back to the ehx power supply, and I'm back to liking this thing. It's dead quiet now.

:)

One thing I don't like about it though: it quiets down your signal. I have to crank the amp up a bit to compensate.

Archived