question about using batteris in pedals.

raggydoll

• Members

thanks man.

so how long would a zoom fuzz last with a battery, any ideas?

Is it the Zoom Ultra fuzz? I seem to remember having to change the battery after about a weeks worth of playing for about 2 hours a day. In comparison my Fuzzhead has had the same battery for about 9 months.

• Members

the UF-01 has some serious circuitry in there, as opposed to 'trad' fuzzes. gonna suck some power.

possible solution ----> take a single power-supply plug (not attached to anything), and pop it in the pedal's power jack = battery shutoff, without having to disconnect anything.

• Members

have noticed that pedals sound different epending on what type of battery is hooked up. the rechargeable or new duracell have different sounds to them. i wonder if its possible to hook a resistor on the hot battery lead, to decrease to voltage to that hairy muff.

in a circuit a battery acts as a capacitor, or shock absorber for current. the batteries can function to protect the circuit in this manner.

• Members

The Zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz draws 18 mA, which is approximately twice as much as a Tube Screamer, and about a third of a Boss DD-3. What that translates to in actual battery life is not possible to calculate accurately, partly because different batteries die in different ways, and partly because different pedals uses the incoming voltage in different ways. For instance, the Zoom will probably be able to use more of the battery's available current - albeit with a change in sound as the voltage drops - than a DD-3 (which will stop working earlier, because its digital delay circuits will simply shut down when the voltage becomes too low).

But anyway, there you have it - it will last about half the time compared to a Tube Screamer, and about three times as long compared to a DD-3.

/Andreas

• Members

the UF-01 has some serious circuitry in there, as opposed to 'trad' fuzzes. gonna suck some power.

possible solution ----> take a single power-supply
plug
(not attached to anything), and pop it in the pedal's power jack = battery shutoff, without having to disconnect anything.

that is a seriously good idea...I'm gonna do that when I build my board, it will save me unplugging all the input jacks, I was thinking of putting on/off switches in, but that's much simpler!! Thanks. :thu:

• Members

yeah it is the uf-01.

was thinking of attaching it to my guitar to muck around with the squealyness (beats hacking a big hole and puting it in the guitar)

i dont quite understand the power jack thing.

what would that do?

would that stop the battery from being used when its in bypass?

• Members

yeah it is the uf-01.

was thinking of attaching it to my guitar to muck around with the squealyness (beats hacking a big hole and puting it in the guitar)

i dont quite understand the power jack thing.

what would that do?

would that stop the battery from being used when its in bypass?

when you put a power supply in a pedal is cuts the battery power (so it's not using power from both at the same time) so if you just put an loose jack in the socket it will disconnect the battery. then when you want to play you just pull the plug out.

nothing to do with bypass though, a pedal is either on or off, effect bypassed or not.

• Members

It's almost always a good idea to disconnect the pedal when yr not using it if yr running on batts. I left my Small Clone and Rat plugged in last night - the Clone is dead and the Rat is still good. Who knew?

You shouldn't use batts unless you have no other option unless yr going to unplug everything when yr done.

Yeah. How's that for wisdom?

• Members

CL6.jpg

not even this entire adaptor is needed, just the little rt-angle nub that inserts into the pedal. the 'nubs' are available at radio shack. plug one into the pedal's jack, battery power = shut off.

mission accomplished.

Archived