Just bought a Boss PS-3 Pitch Shifter Delay

curehardy

• Members

haha... You 2-timer!

I just got one too. Some cool sounds available for sure!

Dirty tracking...has a edge to it. This can be a good thing though, more vibe. Did a session recently and used it for an octave up plus orginal note over a HOG. The HOG was too good and smooth.

Of course great for ambient stuff, cool chorus sound plus the delay/shifter settings that shift the delays up until they disappear.

• Members

does the ps-3 own the ps-2?

I'm under the impression that the PS-2 doesn't have detune, modes 6 and 7, the expression mode, or the dual pitch shift mode.

It's really a matter of what you want. The PS-3 does all the super rad stuff, the PS-2 is a bit stripped down.

• Members

the ps-3 prevails! I got both ps-2 and ps-3 and the later one is much more versatile and fun.

ah it's refreshing to see BOSS make actual improvements with a newer model instead of fcuking up what we loved about it in the first place like they always do! :poke:

• Members

ah it's refreshing to see BOSS make actual improvements with a newer model instead of fcuking up what we loved about it in the first place like they always do! :poke:

that was a while ago! Well to be honest, the new od-3 is a good pedal. I think they have done a good job with that pedal.

• Members

A couple of good threads:

Comprehensive |boss ps-3| guide

Anyone have the Boss PS-3 Lounge Bookmarked?

I just bought a H.O.G., so I thought about selling off the PS-3. The H.O.G.s tracking is muuuuuuuch cleaner. But after playing around with the H.O.G. for a week now, I've discovered that there are a few things that the PS-3 can do that the H.O.G. can't. The PS-3's mode 11 can set start and stop intervals for the expression pedal. The H.O.G. can only do octaves or steps. Also, the PS-3s modes 4-6 have some crazy pitch shifting delays (turn up the feedback) that sound like the last few settings of the Digitech Space Station. Not very musical, but fun for sound effects. Mode 7 alone is worth the price of the pedal. Very shimmery. Finally, the PS-3 does some great stereo tricks (like the stereo non-cyclical chorus in mode 8 :love:).

Using a thick swirly chorus after the PS-3 really helps to soften the poor tracking. Be prepared for some very synthetic tones, which can be viewed as a strength if you are into icy/spacey textures.

All in all, I think it's one of Boss' best and most inventive pedals.

Archived