so i got the ISP Noise Decimator pedal...

lpstudio86

• Members

but i think it cuts my tone alot. theres only 1 knob on this pedal and its easy to use, i tried turning down some gain and overdrive only enough to get the sound i want, but still i think its cutting the tone too much. i spent alot of time tweaking knobs from my amp, Decimator pedal, and OD pedal, but no luck. good thing there is a return policy, as i might return it.

what do pros use to not get the hum sound but still manage to get good overdrive when playing live? Mark tremonti uses mesas, and uses a Klon Centaur overdrive but im not sure if he uses any noise gate in his effects at all. if u can name other guitarists thats fine. also,i know that adding more gain at a high volume will cause hum. is there any other Overdrive pedal that can give more overdrive without hum? please help me with this problem. i just had a show 4 days ago and i had to keep turning down the volume knob on my guitar cause of it. thanks.

• Members

i used to ponder this question alot and came to the conclusion that because they are big rockstars and get paid alot of money to play and get money from cds and merch etc, they probably buy rackmount noisegate which from what i read, are much more advanced seeing as they cost like 2x+ the price of a pedal. thats all i can think of tho. im probably wrong

• Members

It might help to post your rig, including everything in your signal chain, and your power configuration. There are so many variables that cause unbearable hum in any rig.

I lived with hum for several months until I realized that it was coming from my power supply daisy chain configuration. That's a common problem.

• Members

this is weird, cause the isp is supposed to be the {censored} when it comes to noise gates. i would agree that you should post your rig. hum can come from pickups, bad cables, effects loops, even you AC power supply, and some of those things any gate can't deal with without destroying tone. now the rack units, however...

• Members

you have to remember that the pros are mic'd through million dollar PAs and those PAs often have their own noise suppressors

bingo.

so many think that every little thing to do with guitars is at the guitarists' feet/rack. unfortunately, this misses huge amounts of the actual equation.

mic placement = the ability to get millions of different tones out of a guitar/amp without changing a single knob on either.

engineer's gear = the ability to make anything sound like almost anything else, including being able to bump a given channel up a half-step (read: be nice to soundguy)

• Members

It's possible to get away from Noise suppressors.

Recently, I switched to the duncan blackout pickups. They are the quietest pickups I've ever played. I hired a tech to copper shield the pickup cavities of my guitar and also the main cavity of the guitars.

Now, I can stand right in front of my Rivera stack with the volume at 4 1/2 and I don't need a noise suppressor.

Also, I put most of my effects in the amp loop which is footswitch bypass...and only run a single true bypass box with gold relays for the effects in front of my amp. This keeps the signal path as pure as possible eliminating a lot of noise.

Also, I'm using clean regulated power....an Ar 15 and a power factor pro. This eliminates A LOT of noise.

It's possible to do without an ISP...but it requires some thought...some expense...and maybe even a little sacrifice in the rig.

• Members

this is weird, cause the isp is supposed to be the {censored} when it comes to noise gates. i would agree that you should post your rig. hum can come from pickups, bad cables, effects loops, even you AC power supply, and some of those things any gate can't deal with without destroying tone. now the rack units, however...

the ISP is the best! THe problem is that ALL noisegates negatively effect tone in some way. The ISP does it less than others...that makes it the best.

Archived