Boss RE-20 vs. Stereo Memory Man w. Hazarai

mike.sartori

• Members

Ok, I am looking for a delay to replace my Diamond Memory Lane, which sounds awsome, but has a short delay time and is a lot of money to have tied up in one pedal - so I'm looking for a downgrade and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I just want echos, and warmth, I don't really like self ocilation, so that's not a selling point for me. I want the ability to have fat sounding solos, warm sounding twinkly parts, and some u2-ish capabilities. Let me know how you think these two stack up.

• Members

well the re-20 is more analog sounding thus if you want to get a digital delay out of it is gonna be a bit more difficult.

I like to use an analog delay with a bit of reverb for a bit ambience.

It's a matter of how you use it. Do you use digital delay or not in your setup or already have one?

I like the fact that with the memory man, you got loads of weird effects and a looper although it's a bit weird to access judging from what everyone says.

• Members

well the re-20 is more analog sounding thus if you want to get a digital delay out of it is gonna be a bit more difficult.

I like to use an analog delay with a bit of reverb for a bit ambience.

It's a matter of how you use it. Do you use digital delay or not in your setup or already have one?

I like the fact that with the memory man, you got loads of weird effects and a looper although it's a bit weird to access judging from what everyone says.

well, the memory lane I am replacing is an analog delay, so I am definately familiar with the warm sound, that's why I was first interested in the boss as a replacement with longer delay time. I've had digital delays too, but I am after the warmth, as I am not much of a weird noises guitarist.

• Members

I love my SMMH, but based on your OP, it sounds like the SMMH will be too much for what you want. It isn't the most optimum pedal for your needs. You could probably get something much cheaper for what you're going for, like a used DMM. I've seen a few sell on eBay in the last month for less than $150.

edit: sorry, you wanted a longer delay time (missed that part)

• Members

I love my SMMH, but based on your OP, it sounds like the SMMH will be too much for what you want. It isn't the most optimum pedal for your needs. You could probably get something much cheaper for what you're going for, like a used DMM. I've seen a few sell on eBay in the last month for less than $150.

edit: sorry, you wanted a longer delay time (missed that part)

yeah, another cheap option that was intriguing to me was the danelectro reel echo- anyone have experience with that one?

• Members

i have an re20 that i'm very happy with. now i can leave my more rare analog delays at home plus add the versitality of an expression pedal and the multi tap delays. however i intend to get a smmh as well as a second delay for the extra's, things like reverse and the looper. this way i use 2880 for solo gigs and smmh for band gigs.

fwiw my old delay configuration was basically the same with a dm2 or ad900 combined with a dd6. i feel re20 into smmh will be an upgrade all around, for live playing at least.

Archived