simple question:reverb

the frog queen

• Members

dude, I'm getting a new amp, I need something to use until then. I won't have the amp for 120 days cause thats how long it takes to build. Please do not assume I'm an idiot.

All the best reverb pedals are going to be digital. Why do you "Need" analogue one?

The fact is that Reverb is *already* trying to model something- it's trying to model the effect of playing in a particular environment. Doing that through analogue already means it's "fake". All digital pedals do, is do a better job at this modelling. In fact, digital pedals will sound less fake since their models are much closer than a spring or tank. This is why most Reverbs are digital.

Digital reverb can use real Impulse Response techniques to give you realistic reverb tones. An analogue reverb cannot do this.

You'll be happiest with a Digital reverb.

• Members

I wouldn't be so against digital reverb. My personal favorites are the RV-5 and Verbzilla. The Verbzilla can pretty much do it all, and the modulated setting on the RV-5 is worth the price of admission IMO.

And I wouldn't recommend it due to price and the fact that it's rack, but the Kurzweil Rumour is a digital reverb unit that completely blows away everything else I've ever heard. I sold all my rack gear a while back to fund other purchases, but that's the one piece that I'll probably eventually buy again. Absolutely phenomenal sounds out of that unit.

• Members

All the best reverb pedals are going to be digital. Why do you "Need" analogue one?

The fact is that Reverb is *already* trying to model something- it's trying to model the effect of playing in a particular environment. Doing that through analogue already means it's "fake". All digital pedals do, is do a better job at this modelling. In fact, digital pedals will sound less fake since their models are much closer than a spring or tank. This is why most Reverbs are digital.

BINGO! Although a portable cave would be cool if possible.

• Members

Digital reverb can use
real
Impulse Response techniques to give you realistic reverb tones. An analogue reverb cannot do this.

Do not presume to know what I will be happiest with. i have my reasons for abstaining from digital. I want something that will not suck the beautiful tone out of my music. the majority digital effects I've played do just that, flat, flat, flat. It's analogue and it's hand wired for me. simple and clean.

• Members

Do not presume to know what I will be happiest with. i have my reasons for abstaining from digital. I want something that will not suck the beautiful tone out of my music. the majority digital effects I've played do just that, flat, flat, flat. It's analogue and it's hand wired for me. simple and clean.

Yeah, but see, that's bull{censored}. It might be your "Opinion" but it has no basis in reality. Many digital distortions etc. may sound quite flat but reverbs aren't the same thing. You've convinced yourself so thoroughly that digital is always bad that the nicest reverbs might sound like {censored} to you just because you want them too.

The best reverbs are digital because of what they aim to do. The few analogue equivalents will be worse quality for your money.

Fact.

• Members

A lot of people swear by their spring reverbs, which is probably the way to go if you want to avoid digital. I have one in my '63 Vibroverb, and of course I love it, but it has its drawbacks as well. There are definitely tones that I can get from my Holier Grail that I can't get from the Vibroverb.

What kind of amp are you using now? Are you happy with it in general?

• Members

Yeah, but see, that's bull{censored}. It might be your "Opinion" but it has no basis in reality. Many digital distortions etc. may sound quite flat but reverbs aren't the same thing. You've convinced yourself so thoroughly that digital is always bad that the nicest reverbs might sound like {censored} to you just because you want them too.

The best reverbs are digital because of what they aim to do. The few analogue equivalents will be worse quality for your money.

Fact.

dude I dunno why your so hostile. It's like me slighting digital effects threw you into an emotional rant. What is digital your girlfriend/boyfriend or something? Did someone punch him or her?!

You've expressed your opinion, I've expressed mine and I don't care what you've "convinced" yourself is fact or fiction.

• Members

Spring reverbs give a specific sound though - they're kind of twangy. If you're looking for "Beautiful" tone it might not be the best. Spring reverbs give a very surfy feel unless you turn them all the way up. Tank reverbs are better but I'd imagine any pedals that do that would be quite large.

There are just so many reasons why digital is better.

• Members

A lot of people swear by their spring reverbs, which is probably the way to go if you want to avoid digital. I have one in my '63 Vibroverb, and of course I love it, but it has its drawbacks as well. There are definitely tones that I can get from my Holier Grail that I can't get from the Vibroverb.

What kind of amp are you using now? Are you happy with it in general?

At practise I use my friends Ampeg combo which I like but no matter what the reverb is well... practically non - existent.I was thinking that I should just get a pedal to use until my green amp comes in.

• Members

There are just so many reasons why digital is better.

As someone has posted time and again, I wouldn't think in absolutes.

If someone wants as authentic a surf-type verb as possible, then spring would be the first type to try off the top of my head. Also, for something like dub, a Space Echo's verb combined with the echo can be a thing of beauty.

That said, I do back the opinion that the Kurzweil Rumour is an amazing reverb unit which is indeed digital.

I don't think it does much to try convince someone that their opinion is wrong though. Reverb is a pretty wide open subject and it really depends on what kind of atmosphere/room/ambience you want to impart on your sounds.

For the original poster, a spring unit might be worth looking into if that's the sound you're aiming for.

Archived