Digital Performer or Logic Pro... Bitch!

• Members

Sorry for the profanity, but I wanted to get your attention.

So I'm looking for a DAW to go with my MacBook Pro and MOTU Traveler (along with an Oasys, MMV, and various guitars) - the competing products for me are Digital Performer and Logic Pro. Since I'm taking some classes at the local uni, I can get a student disount, making the prices similar. Toe-to-toe, I think LP is the better of the two, but I think Apple is going to release a new version sometime in the next year, and my edu version won't be upgradable. I can get a cross-grade version of DP for the same price, with full upgradability.

So #1 feature for me is ease of use. I only have 8-16 hours a week to devote to recording, so I want something that I can use without requiring a lifetime of study. Yeah, I want the basics of effects; LP has the edge, but DP doesn't seem so bad. Soft-synths are cool, but I have the Oasys & MMV for good synth sounds.

Do you have any recommendation... LP or DP? Or should I wait in hopes that Apple releases the next verions of LP in the reasonable future?

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

• Members

I don't really have an answer for you, not having worked with Logic.

When I switched from a PC to Mac for music several years ago I had the same choice. Did lots of reading about both and finally decided on DP. Electronic Musician mag had just given it their sequencer/audio software of the year award (or something like that), and it was half the price of Logic.

Both products are highly-developed, feature-rich pieces of software, each with their own quirks and annoyances. A good website to hang out in is Big Blue Lounge (formerly OSX Audio):

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/index.php

There are forums for DP, Logic, Live, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.

Another one is http://www.unicornation.com which is for MOTU product users, including DP.

Anyhows, I've been using DP for several years and haven't had a desire/need to investigate anything else. I can create MIDI sequences and record my synths - that's about all I do with it. I wouldn't consider myself an advanced user, but still, it works for me.

• Members

I'm pretty much in the same position as you except I am not considering Logic Pro. I got Logic Express pre-installed on my iMac, and don't like it at all. Digital Performer seems like a good choice, that or Cubase 4 which is much more expensive and apparently pretty buggy...then there's Cubase Studio 4, which is not quite as expensive but I don't like buying cutdown versions...Logic Express was the exception, and it was a mistake. Tried the Ableton Live demo but it doesnt seem to work well with external synths as far as latency goes. Very seriously considering DP right now.

• Members

I've been using DP since version 2.7 (2000). I love it! It's a great program... very deep, yet easy to learn. If you can work with a 4 track you can in DP.

It now comes with several soft instruments (but I haven't explored them in any detail)...

Logic is different, and although I understand it is also a deep program, there's a steep learning curve to it, so I'm told.

You probably can't go wrong with either program, but for ease of use, to me DP wins hands down!!!

aL

• Members

I like Logic. Very configurable. Assigning Key Commands is great and saves time. I'm sure DP is nice. Logic 8 is coming sometime soon, so that might play to. Buy a cheap used Logic 7 and upgrade for $300 or whatever they'll charge. It will cost you a lot less that way.

• Members

What do you think about Tracktion 3? I have some friends that use Tracktion 2 and swear by it. I see it's available for $99, and at that price it's worth a try, even as a secondary DAW. I'll probably still go ahead and buy DP or Logic for more advanced features.

Mark

• Members

DP is very good, very easy to use. I like it. But, it does have its quirks. Midi mapping leaves a lot to be desired--nrpn/rpn mapping is challenging from the daw itself (unless your controller does it). Also, queing loops etc ala live isn't so easy to do. but outside of those two nits...

• Members

Didn't your MOTU Traveler come with a free copy of Audio Desk2?

Audio Desk2 is a stripped down Digital Performer. Work with that for a bit and write down what you like and don't like about it as you work with it.

I like some of what I've heard of Logic Pro, but want to know more about where this application is headed (eg. will there be a Version 8 or not???) before investing seriously into that DAW. Audio Desk2 works fine for me at the moment.

• Members

Audio Desk doesn't have any midi though!!

Yeah, that's my problem with Audio Desk, since I want to do a lot of my stuff in MIDI. I like to sequence my performace, tweak it some, then play it back and record it. I wish MOTU had crippled Audio Desk is a different way than omitting MIDI support.

I am leaning towards DP. I can pick up the crossgrade (from Audio Desk) for $330. Then I'll start reading the manual (despite what people say, it doesn't seem to be software that is easily learnt without the manual).

Mark

• Members

Ah, I missed the part about you needing MIDI. I didn't think of that because any MIDI sequencing I've done is just on my Emu Command Station or the Numerology software - I use Audio Desk strictly to capture whatever audio comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived