Battling the mud

flake

• Members

I'm sure some of you guys would face the same problem as i do - when you run quite a long chain of effects, the guitar almost always sounds like the tone knob is turned down to 2 or 3.

How do you combat this problem?

Right now i'm running

a Carvin DC150/CIJ 57 Strat w vintage noiseless pu/Gibson ES335 into an

RMC 2 Wah -> Digitech Synth Wah -> Phase 90 -> FuzzFactory -> Teese Comp -> Keeley Modded BD2 -> Keeley Modded TS9 -> Crunchbox -> Ce2 Chorus, bf2 Flanger -> Dr Scientist Trem -> DOD Fx90 Analog Delay followed by a DE7 (digital)....

At the moment i'm playing through a small bedroom amp, the roland microcube.

I"m still hunting for a suitable tube amp of around 15 watts... But the question here is if there's anything i can do to improve the muddy situation. Would a better amp be helpful (but when i plug it straight in, the clarity returns)?

• Members

Tis quite common, i observe, that long chains = signal loss. If one were to have a bunch of tb pedals (without buffered pedals like you do) you'd find signal loss too..

are you using quality patch cables? i actually bought my canare cables from www.mrmisse.com in singapore.. another option would be to have some of your pedals in a true-bypass strip.. others will have suggestions.

i run 11 pedals myself, some buffered, some tb.. the way i work around any perceived signal degradation is to turn up my superduper2in1 at the start of my chain :D

• Members

I run a compressor with the volume maxed out at the start of the chain. Tone loss can go suck a railroad spike. Also, put your effects into groups in a 2 looper or something.

So for instance when you're playing clean, you could TOTALLY bypass your FuzzFactory -> Teese Comp -> Keeley Modded BD2 -> Keeley Modded TS9 -> Crunchbox -> and all the wiring that goes with them. Same goes for your mods, delays etc. The more pedals you keep in a loop the better. And I'm only guessing, but that Synth Wah at the start can't be doing much good, and I bet you don't use it as much as other pedals. Get it in a loop!

• Members

Ahh Cool.

Justintee: yes, i get all my cables from mrmisse. Just got my board from him, real nice guy - i'm gonna get the ac15 from him if i'm getting one.

Lanefair: could you elaborate a little more on the looper thing? i'd hit it, but it may not fit my board. so just 2 loops would suffice? I kinda run the fuzz factory before the compressor because the compressor stops it from squealing too much, especially at extreme settings.

• Members

Ahh Cool.

Lanefair: could you elaborate a little more on the looper thing? i'd hit it, but it may not fit my board. so just 2 loops would suffice? I kinda run the fuzz factory before the compressor because the compressor stops it from squealing too much, especially at extreme settings.

Well any number of loops would be an improvement. With one loop you could put all your pedals in there so when it's turned off you're pretty much running straight to the amp. Obviously that's not realistic because with that many pedals you're always going to have something on. The way I see your setup you've got your pre-comp stuff, then your comp, then your dirt stuff, then your mod stuff, then your delay stuff. I assume you keep your comp on all the time, if not then you could put that in a loop too. Otherwise, you could get a three looper, put

Keeley Modded BD2 -> Keeley Modded TS9 -> Crunchbox ->

in one loop, then put

Ce2 Chorus, bf2 Flanger -> Dr Scientist Trem ->

in another loop, and finally

DOD Fx90 Analog Delay followed by a DE7 (digital)....

In the last loop.

If you did that youd be reducing the number of pedals and wires you use at any one time. Obviously if you want chorus on, you need to go through the flanger and tremolo, not much you can do about that, but you'd still be bypassing a lot of other pedals.

• Members

I'm sure some of you guys would face the same problem as i do - when you run quite a long chain of effects, the guitar almost always sounds like the tone knob is turned down to 2 or 3.

How do you combat this problem?

Digital MultiFX

e.g. Boss GT-6.

Archived