How to setup vocal effects

bmast160

• Members

I want to apply some effects to vocals and have never done so before. I have a phantom powered shure beta 87A and was thinking about running it thru a digitech vocal 300 or 400 and then to the amp(which has a phantom power jack on it). Im looking to add a little reverb, maybe a little compression, and maybe a little delay. Do you think it would be better to somehow run the vocals thru an analog compression, reverb and delay (maybe keeley compressor, holy grail, and tc electronic delay) rather than use the digitech. Not sure how all this all works (especially with the phantom power cord and regular guitar jacks) because i have limited experience with vocals.

• Members

I think you're going to run into some trouble using a phantom powered mic.

First of all, the Vocal 300 and Vx400 do not provide phantom power, best as I can tell. Secondly, stomp boxes have a different impedance, so you would need an impedance adapter as mentioned above; plus even with that, you are still stuck with the problem of providing power to your Mic. I would imagine that it could be pretty dangerous to run phantom power through your stomp boxes.

The best solution I can think of is to run whatever effects you want off a mixing console, not inline with your mic.

• Members

isnt that a xlr input and output for phantom power on the back?

XLR doesn't necessarily mean that there is phantom power, it is just one of several ways of terminating a cable at its end... just like 1/4" mono (like your guitar cable) and 1/4" TRS (stereo, like a headphone plug), 1/8" mono & 1/8" stereo, RCA jacks, banana plugs (found in many speakers), etc....

They all perform the same function, but in different fashions to suit different needs.

There may or may not be some sort of active (powered, by battery or AC) DI box that you can connect in between the Vocal 300 or Vx400 and your mic that can provide power to it. Or you can use another mic preamp that has a +48V supply, connect your mic to that via XLR, and then connect the preamp to the processor. So then it would be either:

Mic ---> DI Box ---> EFX Processor ---> whatever

or

Mic ---> Mic Preamp ---> EFX Processor ---> whatever

• Members

depends one what you're recording your vox into. if you're recording them into any DAW, you can always put the FX on after the fact. or if this is for a live application, maybe you should thing about bussing the FX. most mixers have bussing features. without knowing your setup, it's hard to say what way would be best for you. what's your rig look like? i might be able to give some better advice.

Archived