BMPI vs Skreddy Mayo quality difference: night and day?

super988man

• Members

The more clips I hear of the Mayo the more it sounds much more full and focused than my NYC Muff reissue; is it a really drastic cleanup overall? Is it based on a different muff, or some sort of "best of" of all BMs? Should I throw my BMPI in the garbage and sell my shoes for a Mayo?

• Members

night and day yes. They are a lot different if you ask me. the big muff can be used for some stuff and sound sweet. But the Mayo is of higher quality all around.

The Mayo sounds MUCH better to me but then again EVERY Big Muff clone I have tried sounded better then the NYC.

• Members

When I first plugged my Mayo in; after using a Big Muff reissue for a year, I was instantly floored. More sustain, more gain and an added flat mids switch for cutting through. IMO their is no hype about about this pedal; only fact.

exactly, i tought muff fuzzes were not for me until i got my mayo.

it's priced higher than a nyc or lbm but it's well worth the price

• Members

Anyone tried the wren and cuff pickle pie? How about the earthquaker Hoof fuzz? It's a lot cheaper than the mayo, seems to get good reviews. I'm thinking about picking up a muff clone sometime in the future, there's a ton of choices.

Damn you.....now I'm going ot want a Pickle Pi:mad:!!!

But to answer your question, the Pickle Pi is based off of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It's a cousin of the Muff, but not QUITE the same thing. If you're looking for a classic Muff style of fuzz, then I'd suggest sticking with the Muff motif and not venturing into other territories just yet. Having said that, the Swollen Pickle is absolutely killer though. But yes...just get a Mayo, they really are that good. I've had the following Muffs over the years and was still floored by the Mayo: Green/Black/USA EHX Reissues, EHX Little Big Muff, Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer, MJM FOxey Fuzz, and Frantone The Sweet. Just get a Mayo and be happy knowing that the Muff quest is over and that you can do no better, haha.

• Members

Damn you.....now I'm going ot want a Pickle Pi:mad:!!!

But to answer your question, the Pickle Pi is based off of the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. It's a cousin of the Muff, but not QUITE the same thing. If you're looking for a classic Muff style of fuzz, then I'd suggest sticking with the Muff motif and not venturing into other territories just yet. Having said that, the Swollen Pickle is absolutely killer though. But yes...just get a Mayo, they really are that good. I've had the following Muffs over the years and was still floored by the Mayo: Green/Black/USA EHX Reissues, EHX Little Big Muff, Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer, MJM FOxey Fuzz, and Frantone The Sweet. Just get a Mayo and be happy knowing that the Muff quest is over and that you can do no better, haha.

That's a pretty direct endorsement. Looks like a mayo will be in my future.

Dang, just looked at the Skreddy site and checked some of the clips. I think I like the sound of the ? Lady better than the mayo.

• Members

That's a pretty direct endorsement. Looks like a mayo will be in my future.

Dang, just looked at the Skreddy site and checked some of the clips. I think I like the sound of the ? Lady better than the mayo.

there should be a warning sign on the skreddy site : watch out for the gas

• Members

If you like the tone of the NYC and can't really afford a Mayo just yet maybe you should pick up a cheap EQ pedal first and boost the Mids that way or toy around with the sliders and decrease the Bass, etc. You might find that you can work with the Muff you currently have, shelve your GAS for the time being, and spend the saved up cash on things that you really need.

Now I know my experiences are going to different than yours but it seems to have worked for me and not just for my Muff but all of my fuzz boxes.

Archived