Rack time

Demonofthefall

• Members

Hello there,

I have an amp, a guitar and a fx-unit that I like ... Now what's next ?

I definitely want a Noise Suppressor. I read a lot of good stuff on ISP decimators and am thinking about getting one ... but is the rack version really worth the money ? Also, is this something I want to be able to switch off while I play or it's ok if it's always active ?

Compressors. Can someone explain compression to me in terms of it alters tone and playing ? I read some technical descriptions of it but I'm still clueless on where I'd want to use it (cleans, lead or rhythm) and how it would affect the way I play and sound.

I'm also looking for a good rack tuner. I hate the G-Major's ... Any suggestions here ?

I do much of the lead guitar work for a metal band. What else would be a nice addition to my rack ? I want to keep the G-Major for delay, reverb and the usual FXs as I am quite satisfied with it ...

Thanks!

• Members
Hello there,

I have an amp, a guitar and a fx-unit that I like ... Now what's next ?

I definitely want a Noise Suppressor. I read a lot of good stuff on ISP decimators and am thinking about getting one ... but is the rack version really worth the money ? Also, is this something I want to be able to switch off while I play or it's ok if it's always active ?

Compressors. Can someone explain compression to me in terms of it alters tone and playing ? I read some technical descriptions of it but I'm still clueless on where I'd want to use it (cleans, lead or rhythm) and how it would affect the way I play and sound.

I'm also looking for a good rack tuner. I hate the G-Major's ... Any suggestions here ?

I do much of the lead guitar work for a metal band. What else would be a nice addition to my rack ? I want to keep the G-Major for delay, reverb and the usual FXs as I am quite satisfied with it ...

Thanks!

A compressor, depending on where you use it in your signal chain, will do different things for you. In my rig I use a MXR Dyna Comp in front of the amps' input to slam the preamp stage of my amps, usually on clean tones, and a rackmounted Rocktron 300G, to even out the signal to my rack effects.

ISP Decimator Pro G, IS worth the money IF you are going to need noise suppression.

I use a Korg Toneworks DTR-1 tuner, and it works GREAT.

Highly recommended: Furman AR-15 Power Conditioner, a good MIDI foot controller, Don't skimp on good cables (recommend Mogami 2524)

Click on link in my sig and go to the FAQ page for TONS of useful info. :thu:

• Members

I think it could make sense for me to even out the signal to the G-Major for lead stuff.

Basically I just want to prevent unwanted feedbacks with minimal loss of tone and sustain ... I can live with the amp hiss. So I guess a simple ISP Decimator pedal in front of the amp would do the trick for me.

Thanks!

For unwanted feedback, just turn down the gain... The decimator is more for eliminating the noise/hiss.

Regarding the G-major and evening out signal for lead stuff, you can just set the G-major lead patches w/ a dB increase for a boost for leads. ;)

You're welcome, anytime.

• Members
For unwanted feedback, just turn down the gain... The decimator is more for eliminating the noise/hiss.

Regarding the G-major and evening out signal for lead stuff, you can just set the G-major lead patches w/ a dB increase for a boost for leads.
;)

You're welcome, anytime.

I really don't use that much gain.
Since our soundman advised not using the G-Major Noisegate, I thought that cutting the noise from the guitar by inserting a decimator after the wah and before the amp would get me where I want.
I recently got new pickups (BKPs!) and feedbacking got worse after I got them installed. Could it be that the guitar tech didn't set the height properly?

I get my solo boost by activating the Mark IV EQ ... I thought "evening out the signal" meant eliminating some spikes to obtain a more "natural" flow of notes.

• Members

I really don't use that much gain.

Since our soundman advised not using the G-Major Noisegate, I thought that cutting the noise from the guitar by inserting a decimator after the wah and before the amp would get me where I want.

I recently got new pickups (BKPs!) and feedbacking got worse after I got them installed. Could it be that the guitar tech didn't set the height properly?

I get my solo boost by activating the Mark IV EQ ... I thought "evening out the signal" meant eliminating some spikes to obtain a more "natural" flow of notes.

No I was referring to a regulating of the input voltage to your gear, when describing evening out the signal.

after reading your response here, I am wondering if you are using the term feedback appropriately, if you are not playing with much gain, or are you playing really loud???

Re: PU height adjustment, maybe, but I doubt it.

I would be willing to bet that you have a ground issue going on.

Can you post a clip of the "feedback" that you are talking about?

• Members
after reading your response here, I am wondering if you are using the term feedback appropriately, if you are not playing with much gain, or are you playing really loud???

Re: PU height adjustment, maybe, but I doubt it.

I would be willing to bet that you have a ground issue going on.

Can you post a clip of the "feedback" that you are talking about?

We are loud (the kind of loudness that requires earplugs) and I do use a significant amount of gain (think Dream Theater) ... but I don't think I use too much. I'm not after "teh brewthuls gainz by kranking all the knobs to 10", that's what I meant. No doubt that by reducing the gain, I'd get rid of the "feedback" ...

• Members

We are loud (the kind of loudness that requires earplugs) and I do use a significant amount of gain (think Dream Theater) ... but I don't think I use too much. I'm not after "teh brewthuls gainz by kranking all the knobs to 10", that's what I meant. No doubt that by reducing the gain, I'd get rid of the "feedback" ...

A noise suppressor won't help you. Turn down, and convince everyone else to as well, or your live mixes WILL suffer as will your frequency of being asked back to venues... or face your cabinets backwards, or stand farther away from them, of get some Plexi baffles to go in front of your cabs.

Bottom line, you're too loud. That is fine on an outdoor arena stage, but I somehow don't think that this is your main type of booked venue.

Archived