Delay problems

Large

• Members

Hi there, I was directed to these forums in my search for help.

I own a Boss DD-6 delay and I'm having some issues with it.

When I use it with a clean/lightly overdriven sound, the delay acts like I want it to - the initial repeat is about 3/4 softer in volume, and it decays nicely. When I crank the distortion up, though, the delay gets really harsh - the repeats are pretty much at the same volume as the initial note, and it doesn't decay well. The higher the gain, the worse the issues get.

I used to think this was an issue with my amp, since I had a SS amp for a while - I just upgraded to a Crate V16, though, and I'm having the same problem. My chorus pedal seems to suffer from the same thing. My guess is that I need to have an external FX loop to get the modulation effects to sound consistent - am I right, or am I just doing something wrong?

My current setup, if it helps, is Wah > OD > Distortion > Chorus > Delay > Crate V16.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Hi there, I was directed to these forums in my search for help.

I own a Boss DD-6 delay and I'm having some issues with it.

When I use it with a clean/lightly overdriven sound, the delay acts like I want it to - the initial repeat is about 3/4 softer in volume, and it decays nicely. When I crank the distortion up, though, the delay gets really harsh - the repeats are pretty much at the same volume as the initial note, and it doesn't decay well. The higher the gain, the worse the issues get.

I used to think this was an issue with my amp, since I had a SS amp for a while - I just upgraded to a Crate V16, though, and I'm having the same problem. My chorus pedal seems to suffer from the same thing. My guess is that I need to have an external FX loop to get the modulation effects to sound consistent - am I right, or am I just doing something wrong?

My current setup, if it helps, is Wah > OD > Distortion > Chorus > Delay > Crate V16.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like over buffering is your enemy, as well as routing everything in series like that. Are you running into the front of your amp? Does your amp have an fx loop?

Archived