Power Supply Hum

stevew14

• Members

Hey Everybody,

I haven't posted here often, if at all, but I have an effects question that may also be specific to the Mesa F-series amps. I hoped maybe someone here could help. I am running a few pedals in front of my F30, and several in the loop. I found that when I try to power the pedals in front of the amp and the ones in the loop with the same power supply, I get a very noticeable hum. If I use two different power supplies, all is well. I have tried a couple of different supplies,(one spot and gator) and had the same result with either. I have also stripped down to just one pedal before and one in the loop and the hum remains. I just can't seem to get the before amp and loop stuff to get along.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this, or if maybe this is an F-series problem, or even more specifically my amp. I called and talked to someone at Mesa about it. He really couldn't explain it, and said I might just have to use the two seperate supplies. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to simplify.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

You have a ground loop issue - it is a fairly common problem when powering up-front and loop pedals from the same supply, so it is not specific for the F30. When you power both groups from the same supply, you add a very short ground connection between them (through the power cables) to the existing much longer ground path (through the signal cables). This can cause a difference in ground potential, which manifests itself as hum.

The best and easiest way to solve the problem is to simply give both groups their own separate supply.

/Andreas

Archived