Hot Cake for Fat Overdrive/Distortion with Bassman LTD

andtrea

• Members

I have a Fender Jazzmaster (CIJ but soon I'll replace the pickups with Novak Vintage and P90).

I use a Fulltone Ultimate Octave for dirty fuzzy things, and an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n, that is very warm and works well as overdrive (now I put one 12ay7 and one 12ax7), but tends to be too thin at medium-high gain.

I'm looking for a good half-way solution that sounds FAT, incandescent... even in the ultra definite Bassman LTD.

I was thinking to a Crowther Hot Cake (used by best Jazzmaster tone and player of the world, Nels Cline).

Most people says that Hot Cake works better with Vox style amps, any experience, suggestions?

• Members

I had one that I ran with a vibroking and two jazzmasters, vintage and a recent one with antiquity's. I never though it sounded good with the gain over 2, 3 max. It seemed to get muddy when it was cranked up. I kinda let it drive the amp witch worked for a while. I sold it a few months back and have the cash set aside for a Klon.

• Members

But listening the second part of

(from 2:00 til the end) it seems to have a big gain reserve and a wonderful tone, even pushed hard, like a tubescreamer with more distortion range.

My real BIG doubt now is the recurring adjective "fizzy" for the Hot Cake, because the Bassman is often too fizzy from its own I think... :|

Archived