Who puts a lot of dirt in front of their fender?

bvester

• Members

I finally got my twin back today, after 3 months in the shop and ridiculous amounts of money spent (but Music Technology is good at what they do, to say the least).

I plugged my RAT up to it, and realized it could actually have the potential to take dirt (specifically lots of it) pretty well.

I think my twin is weird, however. When I'm using the Vibrato channel the reverb knob acts sort of like a "coloration" type thing, even when the reverb is off. So if i turn it up to about 8 and have the channel volume pretty high there will be significant breakup, more than I have ever heard a twin do. But it can still do the cleanest of clean when I have reverb down, or I'm on the clean channel (which, somehow, sounds slightly different tone-wise than the vib :confused: but that's not an annoyance really). So this breakup, which is also a product of some kick ass svetlena's, when combined with some dirt, actually starts sounding like a {censored}ing huge amp. I mean we all know twins are loud..and if they could be loud and dirty sometimes, why not?

Just wondering what you all have done/are doing for dirt with your similar fenders.

• Members
I finally got my twin back today, after 3 months in the shop and ridiculous amounts of money spent (but Music Technology is good at what they do, to say the least).

I plugged my RAT up to it, and realized it could actually have the potential to take dirt (specifically lots of it) pretty well.

I think my twin is weird, however. When I'm using the Vibrato channel the reverb knob acts sort of like a "coloration" type thing, even when the reverb is off. So if i turn it up to about 8 and have the channel volume pretty high there will be significant breakup, more than I have ever heard a twin do. But it can still do the cleanest of clean when I have reverb down, or I'm on the clean channel (which, somehow, sounds slightly different tone-wise than the vib
:confused:
but that's not an annoyance really). So this breakup, which is also a product of some kick ass svetlena's, when combined with some dirt, actually starts sounding like a {censored}ing huge amp. I mean we all know twins are loud..and if they could be loud and dirty sometimes, why not?

Just wondering what you all have done/are doing for dirt with your similar fenders.

I have about 10 dirts i can run with it....thats why I love it.

• Members

The only thing I've noticed is that the distorted tone seems to be overly-dirty when I'm playing chords but not dirty enough for notes..this is weird. Probably just how the RAT works..maybe something that will be solved when I do the monte allums, or perhaps just my {censored}ty pyle speakers (which actually sound pretty decent but don't have a well-rounded bottom end). But I was worrying it was just a common characteristic of non-effects-loop amps because it's trying to figure out how to put an already distorted signal through a preamp and power amp..could this be true?

• Members

Wait... wait...

wait.

how loud are you cranking it to get dirt. I have to put mine up to about 7 before I get ANY fuzz on the notes, and about 5 minutes of playing on 7 gives me a headache, especially with a teleblaster

Definitely talking loud. That sounds about right.

But the guy I was talking to at Music Tech said the Pyles were more prone to breakup than most speakers...one reason I actually want to switch them out eventually. Just to get even more clean headroom.

• Members

I don't play with the volume above 4......ever.

You wouldn't really need to unless you're in a full, loud band, I suppose. Which is why I asked this question. I am working on starting a progressive hardcore, melodic doom thing and, although a twin is obviously not the most conventional for this genre, it's what I've got and I was actually impressed today by it's potential for loud dirty sounds.

• Members

Definitely talking loud. That sounds about right.

But the guy I was talking to at Music Tech said the Pyles were more prone to breakup than most speakers...one reason I actually want to switch them out eventually. Just to get even more clean headroom.

Yeah, that's definitely not a bad idea. I just sent my twin in to get some Eminence Red White and Blues installed along with new tubes. If you'd like, I could post some clips or a video of how it sounds when I get it back.

I also know that the Reverb and Vibrato have a tube dedicated to them, so maybe that tube is going bad? Did you tech say everything looked good? If so then you're probably right about the speakers, though I have found that the twin's headroom varies wildly depending on the EQ settings you have dialed in.

Again, I'm probably going to ahead and agree with you and say this is likely a speaker issue, I get the feeling these amps need really efficient speakers to do them justice.

also; where in virginia are you?

• Members
You wouldn't really need to unless you're in a full, loud band, I suppose. Which is why I asked this question. I am working on starting a progressive hardcore, melodic doom thing and, although a twin is obviously not the most conventional for this genre, it's what I've got and I was actually impressed today by it's potential for loud dirty sounds.

Just throw a closed back 2x12 under it, and you'll be set for those tones. :love:

• Members

I don't play with the volume above 4......ever.

3 is louder than necessary for most applications, running at "4" at practice is usually about when people start to get pissed.

However, the riff for Radiohead's "I might be wrong" sounded so much better with my amp on 7...

• Members

Yeah, that's definitely not a bad idea. I just sent my twin in to get some Eminence Red White and Blues installed along with new tubes. If you'd like, I could post some clips or a video of how it sounds when I get it back.

I also know that the Reverb and Vibrato have a tube dedicated to them, so maybe that tube is going bad? Did you tech say everything looked good? If so then you're probably right about the speakers, though I have found that the twin's headroom varies wildly depending on the EQ settings you have dialed in.

Again, I'm probably going to ahead and agree with you and say this is likely a speaker issue, I get the feeling these amps need really efficient speakers to do them justice.

also; where in virginia are you?

I'm in Northern VA right outside DC essentially.

That doesn't sound good. I know he checked out EVERYTHING but that seems like a perfect fit for that oddity of the vibrato channel. What kind of tube is it?

I'm really done with spending money on this amp for a while though, haha.

• Members

I'm in Northern VA right outside DC essentially.

That doesn't sound good. I know he checked out EVERYTHING but that seems like a perfect fit for that oddity of the vibrato channel. What kind of tube is it?

I'm really done with spending money on this amp for a while though, haha.

I'm honestly not sure what type of tube it is, I'm sure there's someone here, or some pdf on the fender sight that could tell you.

• Members

Funny, I've been using my Fender Dual Showman Reverb head (with a 2x12 cab) lately because my Vox AC30CD is at Music Technology. Good to hear I've left it in capable hands.

But yeah, I use a fair amount of dirt in front of my Fender, mainly a Hotcake, Little Big Muff and Boss FZ-2. Also gonna try my Fuzz Factory (vexeter) in there at some point. But I've been happy with the sounds so far.

• Members
Funny, I've been using my Fender Dual Showman Reverb head (with a 2x12 cab) lately because my Vox AC30CD is at Music Technology. Good to hear I've left it in capable hands.

But yeah, I use a fair amount of dirt in front of my Fender, mainly a Hotcake, Little Big Muff and Boss FZ-2. Also gonna try my Fuzz Factory (vexeter) in there at some point. But I've been happy with the sounds so far.

This was the first time I've done business with them. I had heard that it was quality and expensive, but I didn't expect it to be quite as much of either of those things as it is :lol:
It's about 100 / hour for work. But they hardly ever spend over an hour or two because they know what they're doing. I learned more about amps on the phone with the guy for 15 minutes than I have in years of playing. So maybe I won't be the guy who loves gear but just doesn't know enough about electronics for much longer.

• Members

The only thing I've noticed is that the distorted tone seems to be overly-dirty when I'm playing chords but not dirty enough for notes..this is weird. Probably just how the RAT works..maybe something that will be solved when I do the monte allums, or perhaps just my {censored}ty pyle speakers (which actually sound pretty decent but don't have a well-rounded bottom end). But I was worrying it was just a common characteristic of non-effects-loop amps because it's trying to figure out how to put an already distorted signal through a preamp and power amp..could this be true?

This is normal. What happens when you play a chord is there's from 2-6 strings moving while when you play solo lines there's only 1-2 strings. It makes sense then, that the signal coming from your guitar while playing a chord will be bigger, and thus the rat will clip much harder with chord work than single note lines with a smaller signal. You could try turning down your guitar for chords and then back up again for solos. Or, you could do the more fun option and get another dirt pedal :thu:

And for anyone reading this, people who say fenders don't take dirt well are absolutely out of their gourd. That is all. :cop:

• Members

Twin reverbs are loud, clean, headroomy MONSTERS! BigMuff, Rat, (ducks down at the mention of the underated, very tonefull, horribly named Boss Metal Core). Twin reverbs are one of the best wide open, clean pallet amps just waitin' for some good ole stompbox coloration.

Archived