OT: So.. How's Toronto?

garyfanclub

• Members

So I've been looking for places to live after I finish college, and I've been told Toronto is a pretty "young" city and has a fairly expansive arts world. Anyone around here ever been there/live there and want to tell me how it was?

Cheap/expensive?

Yuppie/Slummy?

Young people/old people?

life in general?

stories?

crimes?

awesome indian food?

• Members

I live in a suburb about 30-40mins from the downtown Toronto area... depending on traffic. It's a great place but you really have to research the area you plan to live in. I would talk to some people who live in the building/area in which you want to live for more info. Some places have a lot of crime, others not soo much. Some places have great places to eat, and some have the worst {censored} holes you could imagine. Toronto is not a cheap place to live though. Apartments are probably a little less then NY. One great thing about Toronto is that (depending on the area you choose) most things that you would need are just a short walk away. Restaurants (mostly asian) groceries, music shops, electronics... anything you need is usually at most a 15min walk.

Once again, it's a great place, just really research the area cause there area a lot of {censored} neighborhoods out there.

• Members
So I've been looking for places to live after I finish college, and I've been told Toronto is a pretty "young" city and has a fairly expansive arts world. Anyone around here ever been there/live there and want to tell me how it was?

Cheap/expensive?

Yuppie/Slummy?

Young people/old people?

life in general?

stories?

crimes?

awesome indian food?

It's the second most expensive place in Canada after...Calgary. It's expensive to live in Toronto, but there's the TTC(Toronto Transit Commission) which despite its numerous flaws is still a pretty good way to get around for a lot of things especially if you are in subway or streetcar territory. Arts scene is strong in Toronto and there's plenty of places to get gigs. Traffic sucks but it's not LA, and as far as crime goes, it's pretty tame. Yeah there are rough areas, but for Toronto 75 homicides is a lot...whereas for Detroit 350 is routine.

Oh, and Toronto/the greater toronto area has some outstanding Indian restaurants. Actually there's lots of them. Or you could just eat at a place like my house, where it's even better than a restaurant :thu:

• Members
It's the second most expensive place in Canada after...Calgary. It's expensive to live in Toronto, but there's the TTC(Toronto Transit Commission) which despite its numerous flaws is still a pretty good way to get around for a lot of things especially if you are in subway or streetcar territory. Arts scene is strong in Toronto and there's plenty of places to get gigs. Traffic sucks but it's not LA, and as far as crime goes, it's pretty tame. Yeah there are rough areas, but for Toronto 75 homicides is a lot...whereas for Detroit 350 is routine.

Oh, and Toronto/the greater toronto area has some outstanding Indian restaurants. Actually there's lots of them. Or you could just eat at a place like my house, where it's even better than a restaurant
:thu:

Has Indian food finally kicked off there now? I was there 2003 to 2005 and it didn't feel like Indian food had really taken off with the locals/restaurant critics whereas Indian food seemed more popular back home in England. I went to Debu Saha's Biryani House on Wellesley a few times though. Marvellous.

Cool things about Toronto:
-My ex :)

-Gigs and arts and Kensington Market

-A pretty relaxed feel. I never felt threatened finishign work at 1am and walking back through areas with drugs and hookers on offer.

-Enough open spaces to be able to escape the concrete city feeling for a while.

-Food. Sushi, pizza from Cora and Papa Ceo, China Town and the special menus... food bliss.

-Bars and clubs around Church Street. Fun nights out for all.

-Public transport. The locals would keep telling me how packed the TTC subway was in the rush hour in the mornings. All I can say is that a year spent commuting in London made me tough and that the average Torontotonian has no idea what subway crush is like. The London Underground is way busier. I loved being bale to get around so much of Toronto for so little. It puts our public transport to shame in the UK.

-Don Cherry. Mad, bad but addictive.

Bad things about Toronto:

-Finding work as a Brit overseas. Very hard.

-the locals always thinking that I was Australian based on my accent. Wierd.

-sales tax not being upfront but added on at the checkout. Always irked me as I like one price straight up, not a situation where I have to calculate another 13% or so in GST/PST.

Ah well. I miss it. Maybe one day I can get back with the ex and move back there. I hope so :)

• Members
Has Indian food finally kicked off there now? I was there 2003 to 2005 and it didn't feel like Indian food had really taken off with the locals/restaurant critics whereas Indian food seemed more popular back home in England. I went to Debu Saha's Biryani House on Wellesley a few times though. Marvellous.

Bad things about Toronto:

-sales tax not being upfront but added on at the checkout. Always irked me as I like one price straight up, not a situation where I have to calculate another 13% or so in GST/PST.

Ah well. I miss it. Maybe one day I can get back with the ex and move back there. I hope so
:)

It gets more popular all the time and development is exploding in the suburbs, which is where a lot of the Indian restaurant action is. There's a place in Missisauga, that also has a location in Scarborough called Saravana Bhavan, which in fact is a branch of a restaurant originally started in Madras....well the politically correct types like to call it "Chennai" now, but I don't. I originally ate at one of their restaurants in Delhi, and I noticed the placemat listed about 50 or 60 locations worldwide including the two in the Toronto area. Anyway, it's about the best South Indian vegetarian food you're going to get short of eating at an Indian person's house and even then, not everyone's mom is a great cook(mine is). They don't serve the food on a banana leaf like they do in the restaurants they have in India, but that might have something to do with banana trees not being indigenous around here...just a hunch ;). I know they have at least a few locations in the UK too.

Oh, and I hate the sales tax system here! Practically every other country legally requires tax to be part of the marked price, but no...here we have to wait for a damn cash register to tell us. Of course you could just calculate it yourself to have an idea of what you'll be paying, but I imagine I'm in the minority of people who bother with this.

• Members

Good to know Indian food has finally kicked off over there. I used to live in a condo block up near Church and Wellesley, and there was a small Indian restaurant near me. I used to go down there and watch cricket on satellite telly with them and sample the goods. It just struck me as odd that Indian food didn't seem to be that common within the downtown segments given the level of culinary delights on offer. Hopefully one day there will be an Indian rival to the Spring Rolls empire :)

• Members

Good to know Indian food has finally kicked off over there. I used to live in a condo block up near Church and Wellesley, and there was a small Indian restaurant near me. I used to go down there and watch cricket on satellite telly with them and sample the goods. It just struck me as odd that Indian food didn't seem to be that common within the downtown segments given the level of culinary delights on offer. Hopefully one day there will be an Indian rival to the Spring Rolls empire
:)

Yeah those places are the only places to watch cricket unless you want to order pay per view and watch it starting at 3 am...just stay out of there when there's an India/Pakistan match on :eek:

• Members

if you're going to live in a cold expensive place the you should pick nyc imo (especially if you're looking to work in the arts industry). toronto is beautiful though... it's a relatively clean city and the night life is good. I enjoy it every time i go. It's atlanta, L.A., and nyc for me as far as living situations go though. good luck.

Archived