Boss RV-3 or RV-5?

djfu

• Members

This is a strict, one-or-the-other situation.

RV-3: I like the 2000ms delay (this is for a small board with only a DD3 for delay), simultaneous delay/reverb, and the bare bones reverb models. However, I've heard bad things about a volume drop upon activation, and they're harder to find.

RV-5: I like the modulation, but is that enough to offset the stupid gate and lousy spring models?

Lastly, no Verbzilla for me, please; I've played it, and the models are more natural, but natural's not really what I'm after. I like the obvious, cookie-cutter, "this is reverb" sounds of the Boss reverbs.

Thanks, guys!

• Members

However, I've heard bad things about a volume drop upon activation, and they're harder to find.

It's only a volume drop if you turn the rev level up too much... It's kind of like a blend control. And it completely disengages the signal for a split second when you engage it if that bothers you.

If those things don't then RV-3!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

i'd like to resurrect this thread as i just got an RV-5 in a guitar trade and i'm wondering if i should dump it and get an RV-3, or even RV-2.

i've never used pedal reverb before and i think i may be hearing a harshness in the RV-5, even with the tone knob all the way down. and the different modes aren't really all THAT different. but i do like the modulation effect.

and to the OP: did you decide on one?

verbzilla users are welcome to chime in too.

• Members

RV-3, gotta have one. I essentially backed into mine about 10 years ago. I was looking at a one off custom amp. A new guy trying to get is name recognized. I have no idea if he ever went anywhere. Basically, he designed a very simple amp circuit, just volume and gain (NO TONE control even) built a very nice solid mahogany cabinet (furniture quality, dovetailed, etc) just big enough to contain a 12" JBL speaker. I was looking for a used Reverend Hellhound at the time and they store owner asked me to try this thing out. I liked it, come to find the builder thought it needed reverb, so he had custome wired a harness that would run a Boss RV-3 through the amp "tween" sorta of a Effects out/in deal. When I asked the price it was fair, and IT INCLUDED THE BOSS RV-3 and wiring rig (even included a power supply for it that CAME FROM THE AMP, i.e. just a single 9 volt supply. Very odd ball deal, I still have it but the RV-3 has been transferred directly to my pedalboard where it will remain permanently. The amp (called a Cannon) is cool, but I basically got the Boss Pedal for free in my mind. I love deals! :cool:

Archived