Micro POG arrived: First impriessions, and a couple un-published stats

ninjaaron

• Members

I got it, so now my avatar is actually true (except that I'm also running a Guyatone FL3 at the very end of the chain).

So, a couple days ago, I emailed EHX to check on a couple of stats that I couldn't find online... and I found... that the bypass is buffered. Buffered bypass is ok by me though, and I think this buffer is better than Boss (and even that is good enough for me).

I also found out that the chip samples at 62.5 kHz, which is pretty darn high for a floor stomp (Boss does 44.1, where the Eventide rack harmonizer does 96.0). I think the chip itself is as powerful as the normal POG chip, but all of the processing is dedicated to fewer tasks, can therefore sample faster, and ergo produce more organic sounds.

Speaking of sounds, they are good. No lag whatsoever. The tracking is just about perfect... though the upper octave isn't always immaculate as could possibly be imagined, it's better than on any other unit I've heard yet. There is still a tiny bit of this 'sizzle' that you get with all the octave up devices, but it is by far the smoothest I've tried. The lower octave is perfect as far as I can tell.

With the octaves all the way down, and the dry signal all the way up, I couldn't hear a difference between when the pedal is off or on. Good sampling.

When all the knobs are all the way up, there is a definite increase in volume, a one might expect. I think it's good to have the option, and, of course, you can tweak the levels to be in balance with you're 'uneffected' sound.

I got this pedal for two things (luckily, they can be achieved with the same settings):

1) The organ sounds. People have said that this can't quite do it like the big POG because of detuned octaves and the lo-pass filter. Well, I always run an EQ at the end of my chain to get rid of any super high freqs, so some degree of lo-pass is inherent to my setup. The detuned octaves would help for a more authentic Hammond sound. This way it sounds a bit more like a church organ. However, I play in a church setting, so it's all good. Very nice with some vibrato-speed modulation afterwards.

2) With dirt and the PS-5 for a 'six guitar symphony' sound (harmony of a third reproduced in three octaves). It's perfect for this. Great for a finale in a in dramatic songs. Exactly as I imagined it. w/ volume swells, it makes a decent string section. Sounds pretty symphonic without the harmonies also, I must say.

I also tried out the twelve string sound. Sounds good, but didn't do anything for me, but neither does a real twelve string. The Bass sounds are also there. Not totally authentic, but low and musical, and usable (on the stage, musical gets you a lot more mileage than authentic anyway).

• Members

Nice review!

Some questions:

1.) What vibrato-speed modulation did you use to enhance the organ sounds?

2.) What guitar pickups did you use? Singles, humbuckers, P-90's, etc?

3.) I wouldn't think that any discernable sampling would be done when the other knobs are off and the dry is up. Do you know for a fact if the Micro "digitalizes" the whole signal when engaged?

Again, thanks for the thorough review.

• Members

Nice review!

Some questions:

1.) What vibrato-speed modulation did you use to enhance the organ sounds?

2.) What guitar pickups did you use? Singles, humbuckers, P-90's, etc?

3.) I wouldn't think that any discernable sampling would be done when the other knobs are off and the dry is up. Do you know for a fact if the Micro "digitalizes" the whole signal when engaged?

Again, thanks for the thorough review.

1. I dunno what speed. Its' on my Guyatone FL-3 Flanger, and the speed is at about 3:00.

2. I was using my tele w/ 4-way series switching, a Dimarzio Tone Zone T in the bridge w/ coil splitting. For the organ sounds, I was using the the series position with the humbucking mode, the most 'round' sound. For the bass sound, the bridge position sounded pretty good. I dunno, I was just kinda switching without thinking about it. I think it works well with many positions, and preserves the character of the pickup. It seemed very natural, didn't have to think too much.

3. There are two outputs, and if you use the 'dry out', you always have exactly what your putting in (plus buffer). The effect out is all digital when the effect is engaged, I think, but I'm not certain. With a sample rate significantly above CD Quality for a single instrument, it's gonna be difficult for a normal person to tell the difference.

Archived