Reason or Sampletank

J.Paul

• Members

I'm in the process of converting my method from old school

sequencing/external sampler/keys and instead using all softsynths.

It's a nesseccary and overdue move and has a small learning curve.

I'm using an MBox (1) w/ a Mac OSX 10.4.9. The MBox/Protools comes bundled with Reason Adapted and SampleTank. I'm trying to decide between the two and wanted some initial feedback from someone. I'm leaning towards Reason (it seems to be more flexible), but the SampleTank is more intuitive and seems to be begginner friendly.

Anyone?

• Members

Reason is a closed system - no buying and adding plugins if you feel like exploring other synthesis and effects options etc...

Within that however its is very powerful and flexible if you are willing to put the time in to 'program' it.

It does have an intergration path with DAWs through rewire - that basically turs the application into a DAW slave with MIDI from the DAW and audio out to the DAW, but personally I found using reason while rewired a complete pain and a CPU hog, so long gave up with it.

While more expensive, I would suggest something like Ableton Live along with some free softsynths to get you going, then you have a good starting point to grow from.

Depends what you do (music wise and production approach) and how you might like to work with software.

• Members

Reason or Sampletank is not really the questions. If you use SampleTank you have to use it within a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in order to record and create songs. Reason is a closed DAW that cannot use SampleTank, but it can create songs and has a decent sampler and plenty of content available. What reason does not do well is integrate recorded audio parts such as vocal parts and long guitar solos.

Do record vocals, guitar, etc? Are you mostly interested in creating electronic music?

Tell us your needs and what kind of music you create and we can do better at suggesting a direction.

• Members

Reason or Sampletank is not really the questions. If you use SampleTank you have to use it within a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in order to record and create songs. Reason is a closed DAW that cannot use SampleTank, but it can create songs and has a decent sampler and plenty of content available. What reason does not do well is integrate recorded audio parts such as vocal parts and long guitar solos.

Do record vocals, guitar, etc? Are you mostly interested in creating electronic music?

Tell us your needs and what kind of music you create and we can do better at suggesting a direction.

The Sampletank seems to be working fine with the MBox/Protools midi sequencer.

I make guitar rock that has keyboards (you can reference my website or myspace in my signature for samples), anything else in my catalog that is more involved (R&B, pop.....) will be outsourced for the programming.

• Members

The Live Ableton thing seemed to be exclusive to drum loops and the creation of rhthyms ...I'm not particularly concerned with that at this juncture.

I suppose my main objective is the ability to use sample libraries from 3rd party companies such as East/West. I notice that there are file types other than an .aif. or .wav in some of these "softsynths" that seem to be proprietary to their units (I want to stay away from this and keep it as universal as is practical , for now). Do Reason or Sampletank lend themselves to using 3rd party samples and sounds equally as well as the other?

Archived