Rat-like pedals and tone coloration

super988man

• Members

I really love my LM308 Rat. I leave it on almost all the time when I'm using dirt, it's wonderful. I'm looking for another dist pedal similiar, something that has the same sort of outline of sound and tone coloration, but a little more high gain.

The obvious answer is Turbo Rat, but I haven't heard very good things about it! I know Thurston Moore uses one, but that's about it. I was thinking a Shredmaster fit the idea, can anyone confirm this? Or tell me the Turbo Rat rules?

• Members

I have no experience with the Turbo Rat, I own an original LM308 Rat as well. I like my '81 Big Muff with it. To my ears pedals from the 80's sound best with other pedals from the 80's:)

If you are looking for another pedal to use and you don't plan on stacking the two, that opens up a world of options.

A good sounding distortion for very little cash would be the Dano Fab Distortion for around $15. That pedal really sounds good. There's the Boss DS1 or you can get a Modded DS1 from Keeley or Ananlogman. Some other high gain pedals that I have used:

MI Audio Crunch Box

MI Audio Tube Zone

Barber Direct Drive

Jacques Fuse Blower II

Catalinbread Super Charged Overdrive

There's a ton more:wave:

Archived