OT need your help picking out an engagement ring

• Members

okay okay, I'm nuts. I don't normally like to divulge my personal life on a public forum hahah, but I'm going crazy right now. I can't think think pedals, i can't play guitar, i just can't think or do my job right... :( Trying to find a ring for my girl is painful! I've being doing a lot of reading, figuring out the 4 c's... anyway how much should i spend? how many carats? what style? princess? round? what setting? 4 or 6 prong? platinum or 18k white gold? where should i go? tiffany? i even spend some money on an ideal scope so i could see the diamond up close and check the cut and symmetry.. i need to get my ass to the jeweler!

help :cry:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

get all the hints from window shopping (you must feign disinterest) or carefully disguised questions, or better yet, get her an obvious placeholder (25c novelty etc) and then take her to pick out what she wants - cuz she has known _exactly_ what ring she wants for at least 5 years.

• Members

Take white gold over platinum, it's prettier and it is much cheaper. Don't skip on color. No matter what a jeweler tells you, don't go any lower and VS 1 or 2. I would stay between vvs and vs. I shallower cut while it makes the diamond look bigger does not sparkle as much and is a lower quality. I prefer the standard cut (not sure the exact name) over princess or emerald because it has more facets and looks stunning.

• Members

Take white gold over platinum, it's prettier and it is much cheaper. Don't skip on color. No matter what a jeweler tells you, don't go any lower and VS 1 or 2. I would stay between vvs and vs. I shallower cut while it makes the diamond look bigger does not sparkle as much and is a lower quality. I prefer the standard cut (not sure the exact name) over princess or emerald because it has more facets and looks stunning.

i am undecided on how many carats...

I was thinking 1 carat VVS2 or VS1, G or H or I, round brilliant on a platinum setting.. I thought platinum was more durable... 18k white gold might be okay, but she said she was allergic to gold the past, although she has some gold.

how much would something like this reasonably cost?

• Members
Hill Street.

The address and number to the place I was talking about is:

550 S Hill St # 575

Los Angeles, CA 90013

(213) 623-5200

It's in the bank of america building. The two guys that own it are awesome.

crap i hate that area, can they be trusted? I'm such a noob :cry:
thanks i'll check it out.

• Members
crap i hate that area, can they be trusted? I'm such a noob
:cry:
thanks i'll check it out.

They're totally legit. There are some fly by night operations but these guys have a prime location and have been there for 15 years. They have windows to instead of a locked office door where shady stuff happens. I paid a little under $1500 when I bought my wife's engagement ring and it appraised at $2300.

• Members
They're totally legit. There are some fly by night operations but these guys have a prime location and have been there for 15 years. They have windows to instead of a locked office door where shady stuff happens. I paid a little under $1500 when I bought my wife's engagement ring and it appraised at $2300.

that's what concerns me. I bought an ideal scope so i could check out the cut. You agree it's a good idea? WHat about the grading report? Do you prefer a certain report type like GIA, AGS, etc? Who does your appraisal? Do you ask someone else like an independent appraiser? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but i really am a noob ahhaaha. :lol::cry:

Thanks for the help btw.

• Members
thought it was 3-4 months income.. oh well i'm not quite there yet...

nice of you to wanna surprise her.. could be tricky that. btw congrats
:thu:

i heard 2 months. I think i can afford a decent one. I just want a good lookin' one at a reasonable price and not get ripped off cause I'm such a noob :rolleyes:

• Members
i heard 2 months. I think i can afford a decent one. I just want a good lookin' one at a reasonable price and not get ripped off cause I'm such a noob
:rolleyes:

BTW. it's 2 months salary for engagement ring AND wedding band. I would be cautious as to how much you spend also. I didn't want my wife rolling around town with a $6k+ target on her finger. It's a good rule of thumb up to a point. My buddy was making $8500 a month, he didn't want to spend nearly $20k on a a couple of rings.

• Members

If you want to know what she wants then take her to a mall and then slip into the conversation that someone you work with just got engaged and they were talking about princess cut this, white gold that.....

Before you know it you will end up in a jewlery store looking at rings and she will tell you what she likes. Then you can go back and surprise her with that ring or something close.

Here is the key: If she is a good girl, which it sounds like it is because you can not focus on anything else, then you could give her a tin can for a ring and she would love it.

Make sure you shop around and find a place that you are comfortable with first and then pull the trigger. What you need to know is what style of band she like, cut on the diamond, and does she want plat., gold, or white gold.

Do not get hung up on how much you have to spend......that is one of the craziest things ever. Spend what you can afford and that is it.

I understand what you are going through my man and when you give her the ring it is one of the best feelings in the world trust me.

Sorry for the ramble but when is the bachelor party :thu:

• Members

BTW. it's 2 months salary for engagement ring AND wedding band. I would be cautious as to how much you spend also. I didn't want my wife rolling around town with a $6k+ target on her finger. It's a good rule of thumb up to a point. My buddy was making $8500 a month, he didn't want to spend nearly $20k on a a couple of rings.

dan, i know of someone what bought his fiance a +$40k ring. I saw it; ridiculous :eek:

@bruno thanks man. That's good advice :)

• Members

ok, i just bought mine two weeks ago and did lots of research and she loves it. anyways, i'd listen to the advice on the platinum. it'll cost a lot more money and doesn't really add anything. get white gold and save the money. also, apparently platinum is more prone to getting lost as it'll be heavier on her finger.

1 carat in american sizes is .5 carat in canadian sizes, which is what I got and it looks very nice in the ring. not overboard, but definitely noticeable.

the cut is most important to consider apparently as it'll determine the largest part in how sparkly it looks.

I ended up with .5 cdn carat, vs2, h colour with a very good cut in a 19k white gold ring. don't worry too much abour colour, unless you start to get in the k area and higher. it won't be noticeable to your eye unless it's out and being compared next to other diamonds. finally, 14k white gold will turn a little yellowish after 2-3 years. 19k won't. So, it's worth the extra money.

also, don't listen to the 2 month salary thing either. it's something the jewellery stores invented to get you to spend more.

you might also want to consider practicality. 99% of engagement rings stick pretty far off the top and lots of girls that I work with say they wish it didn't as they hate wearing it under gloves and such. that mightn't be a big problem in california though. I got one where the diamond was set into the ring. my girlfriend likes sleeker, more modern things, that isn't the same as everyone elses and she loved it!

anyways good luck brother!

check out this site for ideas and getting roundabout pricing of what you're after:

http://www.sunjewelry.com/

Archived