Schilke Trumpets

• Members

I'm looking for an Eb/D and would love the find a used Schilke E3L but they have been out of my price range. I'll never play Hummel or Haydn often enough to justify owning one.

As a generalization, you have to avoid the 1970s horns with Yamaha alloy valves and skip the M series which were intended as student/intermediate horns.

• Members

Originally posted by MarkZ

I'm looking for an Eb/D and would love the find a used Schilke E3L but they have been out of my price range. I'll never play Hummel or Haydn often enough to justify owning one.

As a generalization, you have to avoid the 1970s horns with Yamaha alloy valves and skip the M series which were intended as student/intermediate horns.

Ah yes, the Yamalloy curse. I think those between 74-82 had those.

I dig my Schilke mouthpieces, someday I'll own a horn! I know their picc is the standard by which all others are judged anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

I dig my Schilke mouthpieces, someday I'll own a horn! I know their picc is the standard by which all others are judged anymore.

Wasn't that when they were making horns out of the old Japanese battle ships and planes? Don't know, but that's what I heard. Things that make you go HMMM:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by soundministries

Wasn't that when they were making horns out of the old Japanese battle ships and planes? Don't know, but that's what I heard. Things that make you go HMMM:cry:

Probably, though I have to doubt they scrapped many old ships. I mean, most of them sunk...

Of course, the Russian EHX pedals were rumored to be made with scrap iron from old T-34s!

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

Schilke mouthpieces are the most comfortable mass-produced mouthpieces I've tried. Though now I play a Bob Reeves custom...

My teacher is funny, he has this "thing" against Schilke ... I think Bob Reeves, who's a close friend of my teacher's, has a big rivalry with Reynold Schilke, so my teacher's taken up the cause. Clearly, that's why I play a Bob Reeves now :D

• Members

I have a Schilke Symphony series mp but I only use it occassionally. IIRC, it's an M2 size. Very comfortable, love the tone, but I get fatigued on it more quickly than my primary mp, a Gary Radke 3S.

I'd like to try Schilke's new heavyweight series pieces. I saw them in an ad with Jon Faddis. Don't know if they are in stores yet.

• Members

Schilke was bought by Naumann a few years back. There have been a few new models added to the line but I think all the original Schilke designs are still in production. I own a p54 and E3L4 and love both horns. I had a Bflat many years ago and it was also a great horn, just not appropriate for the kind of playing I do. I had an E3L for many years and it was a great horn on the Eflat side, but I never cared for the D trumpet side. Intonation in D was poor. In general Schilke has a reputation for very well crafted horns, good intonation and response, but not the warmest sound. They tend not to be used much in orchestral settings, except for the smaller horns, which are very popular among symphonic players.

Archived