Reversed Vocal effect, how?

NewTruth

• Members

I'd like to get that "turn the tape over and play it backwards" effect that can work with vocals live. We have one recorded song where we did that with the vocals and live it just doesn't sound right without the vocals being backed up by the reversed sound of them.

Any suggestions of what kind of equipment could do this? I suppose we could record the vocals and play it during the song, but I'd rather not if there is a way to do it on the fly.

• Members

I doubt it would sound the same as what he's talking about though. There might be a vocal effects unit with this though. It would be tough to get the timing right for the song though, I would think.
:freak:

I've been looking through various vocal affects and while they all have delay effects none have a reverse sound like many guitar pedal delay effects.

At least as far as I know.

And yeah, timing is difficult, but then again using a delay on a guitar can make timing an issue too. We've got another song with a U2ish guitar sound and even though our drummer is excellent he still hates playing the song because the delay is absolutely perfect with it's timing. And human beings generally are not. He still does a damn good job, but he still has to work hard.

• Members

are you using 48v mics for live stuff?

I would (and do) use a sampler for stuff like that. Even something like a loopstation. They come in handy for all sorts of other stuff, too.

also... Do the current Kaoss pads have that capability? Might be worth checking out.

• Members

Yes, that's exact what we use.

I would (and do) use a sampler for stuff like that. Even something like a loopstation. They come in handy for all sorts of other stuff, too. .

I was planning to buy the Boss RC50XL, but I wasn't sure how use it on vocals, hence my question.

also... Do the current Kaoss pads have that capability? Might be worth checking out.

Not that I recall.

• Members

I was planning to buy the Boss RC50XL, but I wasn't sure how use it on vocals, hence my question.

It works great on vocals (RC-50, there is no such thing as RC-50xl). I have a friend who performs live with a mic and a Tele running into one of those. You can loop both guitar and mic at the same time, or one or the other.

Archived